foody food food

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by geckopaws, Apr 10, 2004.

1. geckopaws

geckopaws New Member

Hi,

I was wondering if mealworms were ok for a red eared slider. And if I could feed him canned vegtables? Or is fresh vegtables way better?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

as for wardley turtle sticks - they suck (IMHO). he can have one or two wardley turtle sticks PER WEEK. other than that he needs to be eating live crickets, earthworms, peices of grapes, apple, and banana, and dead feeder fish. i'd put some live feeder fish in there too just to stimulate him. but he needs to have a varied diet - those 'turtle sticks' are always like 40% protein which will cause pyramidding very quickly. get him on a more varied diet. he may not want fruits and veggies til he's a year old or so, but keep trying to get him to want them. he should love dandelion greens and romaine lettuce as well. right now his diet should be 95% crickets, earthworms, and fish.

and also - it is EXTREMELY easy to over-feed these guys. he should not have more food than can fit in his head more than once a day. right now that should be an amount of food about the size of a small marble. ONCE a day.

as for mealworms, they are okay to feed to res and other aquatic turtles, but they are not very nutritious and should only be fed about as often as commercial 'turtle sticks', IE: only a couple times a week. the vast majority of the diet should be crickets, earthworms, snails, feeder fish, and fresh veggies. fresh veggies are always better than canned. for one thing, the canned ones almost always have some kind of 'syrup' or juices on them.

:lol:

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i go to Petland and buy Comets they are $7 for 100 of them and my turtle loves them. but i think i should cut back on the amount i give him. i used to put in 25 and that would last him a day :- his shell is about 3" diameter how much should i feed him?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

your turtle is only 3 inches in diameter and he will eat 25 comets in one day!?!? that is WAY (way way *way*) too much food! aquatic turtles should only be fed the amount of food that would fit in their head, once a day. the amount of food that would fit in their head! once a day! that's it! and after they are a year old, they should only be fed 4 or 5 days a week instead of every day! these guys are ectotherms and require such a minute amount of food energy that it's often difficult for us to imagine how little food they actually need. also, he shouldn't only be eating fish. he needs fruits and veggies (banana, romaine lettuce, dandelion greens, berries, etc) as well as crickets, earthworms, and the occasional commercial 'turtle stick' (reptomin or mazuri, etc).

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. slimmer

slimmer Embryo

hi i keep 2 yellow belly'd turtles and i feed them mealworm's once aweek, i wouldnt feed tin veg they loos goodness. fresh is alway's best

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Kiryu

Kiryu Embryo

Ive never feed mealworms, my mom is to antsy near them.