For Love?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by YogaJenni, Feb 14, 2013.

1. YogaJenni

YogaJenni Embryo

Last week our brown anole died - I assumed that from everything I read that it was from age - he was about 5 - 7 but unsure as we have had him only about a year and was with another family for a few. We have a green anole who shared the terrarium with him. He has been healthy, we have a 10 gallon tank, I keep a bowl of water and spray 2 or 3 times per day. There are plenty of sticks to climb on as well as rocks to bask on. We have two lights one for basking and I can't remember what you call the other one. The temperature is normally around 86. He also has an aloe plant for climbing. I use Tropical Terrarium Substrate (Plantaition soil). He fed crickets about once a month (they are hard to get) which I gut load and coat with calcium. He also eats meal worms which I feed him about every 2 or 3 days.
    He is also the same age as our anole who died last week. I've notice that since his buddy died he is less active and does not turn green as often. He seems very lethargic and his breathing is not smooth.
    Of course as soon as his buddy died I cleaned and changed the bedding and terrarium just in case it was not "old age" and to prevent disease if there was one - but I don't think that was the case.
    I know that they were not "mates" but anyone who has these little creatures knows that they have personality. These two little guys would often been found side by side or nose to nose - happily sleeping with the green one nice and bright. I am wondering if he is missing his buddy enough to be dying himself. I hope that is not the case.
    Everything I have read says not to introduce another anole - as one might become aggressive.
    I don't have a working camera right now so I can't post pictures.
    Any words of advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    J.