found a box turtle

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by BooBah, May 17, 2009.

1. BooBah

BooBah New Member

Ok i just caught a box turtle and decided to keep it as a pet.Im not really a fan of turtles,(more into monitors and large snakes) and it has an indentation on the bottom of its shell.Anyone know what this could be from?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lestat

lestat Moderator

The indentation means it's a male.

Why are you keeping it if you don't even like box turtles? You should return it to the wild where it belongs.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. BooBah

BooBah New Member

i dont know i think thats a good idea

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lestat

lestat Moderator

I totally understand the urge to keep cool wildlife you find. It's just not really in the turtle's best interest once the novelty wears off and you remember you aren't fond of them. ;)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. BooBah

BooBah New Member

yeah i know what you mean i just have lizards and snakes and i thought a turtle would be cool cuz i dont have one,im keeping him in my house until it gets a little warmer and im gonna let him go at the river behind my house.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BooBah

BooBah New Member

i just let the turtle go a few days ago it was for the best

12. salvadorian

salvadorian New Member

Don't put it beside the water or whatever you said. Put it exactly where you found it. Box turtles are actually very territorial and will often starve to death if let go anywhere besides exactly where they came from. Put him EXACTLY where you found him. Also, it is illegal to catch and keep wild box turtles.

13. BooBah

BooBah New Member

too late i already let him go and he was put back where i found him.As for it being illegal i did not know that but i really would appreciate it if you wouldnt get an attitude

14. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

Glad to hear you released it. You NEVER keep wild box turtles! The box turtle population is declining in the wild partially due to people keeping them as pets. They do not make good pets when caught wild as they don't adjust well. The wild population cannot recover fast enough due to them laying so few eggs each year. If you want a box turtle get a captive bred one like I did.