freaked out advice please

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by lisa owens, May 21, 2012.

1. lisa owens

lisa owens Well-Known Member

ok yoshi has done a lot of sleeping today his head looks pale colored but his body doesn't. what is wrong? is he ok? have i done something wrong? why is he pale on his head and why is he sleeping so much? i am completely freaked out and scared i done something wrong.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

He might just be getting ready to shed... has he eaten today? Any other odd behavior? I wouldn't freak out too much... they're just like people and sometimes have off days :)

Cammy likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lisa owens

no he has not eaten yesterday he was in his water dish. he get fresh mustard greens in the morning and i give him some roaches but he will not eat in the mornings only the evenings. his body is darker than usual but his head is pale he has been a little irritable i guess he does not want me to hold him for very long so he wiggles till i put him back. he eats good in the evening usually just not in the mornings

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

How old is your beardie? If I remember correctly he was still pretty young. He sounds like a typical beardie going through their first few sheds. They can get very irritable and lose their appetite until it's off. They may avoid basking or may sleep a lot or spend a lot of time in their water dish. The darker colored body is probably from stress about the shed. The paler head would indicate that that's where he's going to shed soon--beardies shed in patches rather than all of their body at once. Try not to handle him until the shed is off. You can help him feel a little better by lightly misting him with warm water and regularly giving him his warm baths. It's also a good idea to keep the humidity a tad bit higher when they are shedding to help it come off easily. He honestly sounds like a normal young beardie in shed, so try not to worry too much.

On the eating thing: Do you give him some time to warm up before offering food? Reptiles need a little bit of time to get their metabolisms going in the morning, so he may not eat if you offer food too soon after his lights come on. Having said that, many beardies do have a preferred eating time and may eat more vigorously at a certain time of day. Just make sure you give him at least two hours after feeding in the evening before turning his lights off so that he has time to properly digest his meal. How is his appetite, by the way? Has it picked up at all?

StikyPaws312 likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lisa owens

he is young not sure of age he is around 10 inches long he eats at 7 at night then the light goes out about 9 at night i cut his light on at 7 in the morning and feed him about 11 roaches greens i put in their when i cut the light on. he has been eating some of his greens now and he eats 8 to 10 roaches which are good size he will eat more if it is crickets they are smaller than the roaches. and he loves phoenix worms i give him them every other day he will eat 10 or more of them with the roaches

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cammy

Cool. So his appetite has at least doubled since you started with him. That's great. =) If you can give him some more time to warm up instead of feeding him immediately in the morning, he may even eat a little more. Other than that, sounds like you've got everything down pat now. Hopefully he'll get that nasty shed off and be back to his normal cuddly self soon. =)

12. lisa owens

i hope so he will still let me pet him and close his eyes when i do but he just does not want me to pick him up and hold him i misted him with warm water he seemed to like it since i cut the light on at 7 when should i try to feed him

13. lisa owens

this is yoshi when i first got him

[​IMG]

this is a recent pic of yoshi now

[​IMG]

14. Cammy

If you turn the light on at 7, try feeding him around 8. =)

15. lisa owens

so trying to feed him at 11 is to late i am confused his light comes on at 7 and i usually wait till 11 to feed is that to late?

16. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

I don't think there is a small time frame that you have to feed him in. It is just better to wait a little bit after they wake up to feed them. It gives them a chance to warm up before eating something.

17. lisa owens

something good i offered the roaches he ate 1 this morning i fixed him some mustard greens and carrots this morning he has ate almost all of it i just checked in on him just a minute ago

18. Cammy

Nope, 11 is a good time to offer food. I usually offer Loki's food around lunch time as well. He's not a morning person, lol. Just keep trying different times and see what he responds to best. Each beardie is different and has their own routine. Once you figure out what works best for him, you'll be golden. =)