Frilled Lizards

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by WRENCHETTE, Sep 25, 2004.

1. WRENCHETTE

WRENCHETTE Member

I have been readin up on frilled lizards. My boyfriend has fallen in love with them and oneday is wanting to get one. Does anyone here have one or has had one? How hard are they to keep? I know that they require a tank that is tall for climbing and require a high variety diet. Of course need to be kept at the right temps but have read that they are very docile and curious and active little boogers. I have read that next to the bearded..... they are probably the best dragon to have as apet. Any insider detailes that anyone has????

I was looking last night on the internet for a cage that is tall that would accomidate a frilled but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know where I could purchase this online? Or at least somethign that would work as an enclosure for one. I know we could build but my boyfriend is not very creative if you know what I mean. Buying is better for him.

I figure I better do my homework now ....

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. WRENCHETTE

WRENCHETTE Member

FRILLED

I posted but nobody responded..... Does anyone know about these frilled dragons????? Has anyone or does anyone have them?????Details....

Thank you

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Well I don't personally keep them but I do have a nice thick book on agamids that covers them, and google can help you find a lot of info too. What were you wanting to know about them? They are very interesting lizards.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

I suppose you could try keeping them in one of those cloth-screen reptarium things, they are pretty cheap for a good sized one, and as frilled dragons do not need very humid conditions, it should be fine I would think. They do need branches to climb on as the are arboreal, and they need a dry forest setup so probably something like the bed-a-beast or other coconut fiber bed would be perfect.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. WRENCHETTE

WRENCHETTE Member

Arn't they from Australia??? It in not humid in the jungles there? And do they make good pets. What exactly do they require in captivity? I looked on google and yes there is some info but not a whole lot.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Yes they apparently make excellent pets. They are supposed to be some of the most personable lizard pets available, right up there with bearded dragons for likeable disposition. They do not come from particularly humid conditions. They are found in northern and northeastern Australia and southern New Guinea, and they live mainly in dry forests and wooded steppes. They are arboreal, so they need room and branches to climb. When on the ground, they tend to run only with their hind legs. They reach an average length of 30 inches, with 20 of those inches being tail and only 10 body. A suitable enclosure size for an adult would be about 6ft high x 4ft wide x 3ft deep. They are highly active, so the enclosure should be designed to prevent them from flinging their substrate outside their cage. Their water container should be big enough for them to take a splash in if they want to, but should still be easily removeable for daily cleaning as most of them will "train" themselves to defacate in their water dish. Large plastic cat-litter boxes have been suggested as decent water containers, although depending on your lizard you may need to add some big rocks to prevent him from tipping it over. Clean and disinfect the cage at least once a month. They are mainly insectivorus and should be fed mostly on gut loaded crickets and other insects, small fish or shrimp, and the occasional pinkie or piece of hard boiled egg as a treat. Don't feed it anything bigger than the space between his eyes. Some frillies will also eat vegetables and fruit, and if yours will then you should give it to them in small quantities. Frilled dragons eat a lot (adults will eat as many as 2 dozen crickets in one meal!), so make sure you have a good supply of insects before you get your dragon. The best substrate choices are soil or the bed-a-beast type coconut husk bedding. UV lighting is very important, and frilled dragons thrive on lots of it. The best basking lamps for them are the high-UV mercury vapor floods such as the Powersun UV bulbs. High UV flourescent tubes can also be used as supplimentary lighting, but should not be used as the sole UV source unless you are taking your lizard outside in a basking cage for a daily dose of sunshine. Try to keep the basking spot between 95-100*F and the ambient air between 75-80*F. Mist your dragons a couple times a day, and make sure they have fresh water at all times. Care should be taken when housing a pair or more of dragons together, as they need to be roughly the same size to minimize aggresion, and also because if young females and males are housed together they will breed too young and the female(s) could die as a result of being too small to lay and the eggs binding inside her. Females should be full grown and at least 2 years old before attempting breeding. Thats all I've got for now, hopefully that answered any questions for you. :)

12. jadeandco

jadeandco Embryo

Frilled Neck Lizard

There are many things you should consider before taking the plunge with any new animal so well done for trying to find out info about the Frilled neck Lizard.

In Australia which is where the lizard and myself are from we don't have jungles they are actually rainforests which are a little bit different to one another, Frillies like warm but not necessarily humid temperatures they also can get quite large and enjoy running around (and flicking their tails around).

It is recommended by most keepers that you have a small room devoted to your Frilled Neck Lizard. You also need to be aware that during when they are adolescents Frillies can be a little bit tempremantal which means you need to leave them alone for a couple of months.

Definately one you wanna really consider before you take the plunge.

Good luck

13. GeckoKing_57

GeckoKing_57 New Member

OK, to simplify your needs here. I have Frillies, and some of the stuff you have heard is right and some is wrong. In all cases of owning Frillies, YOU CAN NOT have it around anything else. NO other pets in the same room. You can kill your frilly. When they are small the dont move around alot. and they are not so much Aboreal as you might think. They love to run though. As fr as tank size, dont go with homemade until they are going through a major growth spurt. You will want to start off with no less than a 120 gallon for a baby. Make sure it is hot in the tank and REALLY hot on the one side. Ambient temp should be upper 80's to mid 90's, and basking area should be no higher than 110. The cool side(side with the water bowl, should be around the low 80's to upper 70's. If you need more info feel free to message me and I will give you the full rundown.

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

how would keeping a frillie in a room with another (as long as they are in seperate cages) kill it?