Frog questions!!

Discussion in 'General Amphibians' started by rebecca moore, Jan 8, 2012.

1. rebecca moore

rebecca moore New Member

Hi there. I'm looking into getting a frog but wanted some base information first as i honestly do not know much about frogs in general.
    1. What is a good starter frog that isn't extremely high maintenance?
    2.What does the certain type of frog eat?
    3. Lighting / Heating needs? Humidity ? Temperature?
    4. Would the exoterra rainforest kit - small, mini or nano TALL be suitable?

Thanks for your help!!!!;)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Hello! We don't have a ton of froggy people around here, so it's nice to see someone branching out a little. I'll try to hit your questions in order.

1. What is a good starter frog that isn't extremely high maintenance?

For the size tank you are looking into, a green tree frog is probably your best bet. They are small, hardy, easy to care for frogs that are easy to find on the market. There are other good choices such as White's/Dumpy tree frogs, ornate horned/Pac Man frogs, firebelly toads, American toads, etc., but they would not do well in the tanks you have listed.

2. What does the certain type of frog eat?

Green tree frogs will eat mostly crickets or small species of roaches as their staple food, dusted with calicium and multivitamin supplements 1-2 times a week. They can also have small worms such as Phoenix/Calci/Repti worms, silkworms, butter worms, wax worms, or small mealworms as occasional treats, but they should not be used as a regular food source.

3. Lighting/Heating/Humidity/Temperature needs?

Green tree frogs are nocturnal, so they don't require any kind of special lighting. You can use a low watt or fluorescent bulb for display purposes if you want, but sticking with just a small heat pad or heat tape is perfectly fine. Aim for temperatures between 70-80F. Ideal humidity should be around 70-75%.

4. The Exo Terra Small Rainforest Kit or the Natural Mini Tall Terrarium are fine for an adult green tree frog.

Let me know if you have any other questions! =D

lizardgurl87 and JEFFREH like this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. rebecca moore

rebecca moore New Member

Thanks cammy!!! you've been a lot of help!! I will post pictures if i do wind up getting one !!
    Green tree frogs are quite nice looking!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

I have a green tree frog with 2 green anoles in a Zoo Med tank-not sure the listed size, but it's either small or medium(18x18x18). You would do well with one of the smaller tanks if you're only getting a few though. They are fun too! :) just yesterday-I got to see her eat and I usually don't. She spotted the cricket on the log and jumped right on it and it was gone in a second! It was cool! Well, good luck with them and all! :D Cammy covered all you need to know

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. rebecca moore

rebecca moore New Member

Great thanks so much michelle!!! You should post a picture of their terrarium that would be neat to see!!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lizardgurl87

ok :) I have a few-
    [​IMG]
    This is of Rhubarb(my boy)and Alfred the Ninja Frog(the frog obviously lol :p)though, I think the frog might be a girl...I'm still keeping the name! :D That was also before I had my new girl anole and here's a pic of her and Rhubarb:
    [​IMG]
    here's Alfred again too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Louie likes this.
  12. rebecca moore

rebecca moore New Member

awwwww they're all very cute!!!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  13. lizardgurl87

thanks :) what all kinds do you have? and make sure to post pics when you get the frog(s)! They should be easy to find and pretty good prics, but they're more common here-you can find them outside, but I still bought mine at a petstore.

14. Louie

Louie Member

Nice pics. I love treefrogs but doesn't the calling keep you up at night?

Oh never mind I just read that you think the frog is a girl.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  15. Louie

Louie Member

Are you just looking at treefrogs ? I ask because recently saw some bumblebee toads (melanophryniscus-stelzneri) and tiny about 1 1/2 inch and real cute.