Fruit Flies or Pinhead stores?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Camillo, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Camillo

Camillo New Member

Does anyone know where I might buy wingless fruit fly "farms" or pinheads?

I've seen a few places online, but I was wondering if anyone had personal experience and could advise me one way or another.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, I'd go with the pinheads.

We did buy a tub of the fruit fly culture, and while they may not have wings, apparently their off-spring do (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this). All I know is, shortly after we bought the culture, our whole house became infested with them. It took us 3 or 4 months to get rid of them, and there's still one or two flying around.

I'd go with the pinheads. We used to buy them online by the thousand when we needed a lot of them. Now we don't need so many so we buy from our local pet store.

If you buy a thousand, and you find you don't need that many, you can always raise the remaining ones to adulthood and breed them to produce a constant supply of pinheads.

Then if you end up with too many pinheads, you can always sell some back to the pet store for credit :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Camillo

Camillo New Member

Thanks. I know what it's like to have a fruit fly problem. We used to keep a fruit bowl out on the buffet; now we hide fruit in the fridge :)