Gaboon Viper $45

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by MyMo, Aug 1, 2006.

1. MyMo

MyMo Embryo

Snakes:
    Black Mamba (Dendroaspis polylepis) $100
    Eastern Green Mamba (Dendroaspis angusticeps) $50
    Eastern Gabon Viper (Bitis gabonica) $45
    Puff Adder (Bitis arietans)$35
    Common House Snake (Lamprophis fuliginosus) $10
    Green Snakes (Philothamnus spp) $8

I found this pricelist on an exporters website, heres the link:

[link removed by mod]

It's crazy...exporting can be a pretty awful business...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Odemus

Odemus Member

also deadly and problly illigal to have..

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Marc118

Marc118 New Member

You can have gaboons, I know a guy on another side with a breeding pair.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. burmboy_6

burmboy_6 New Member

I know someone with gaboons and about 50 other venemous snakes

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Do you not need a license? They should not just sell them so cheaply like that. ANYONE can just buy them. That's ridiculous and infuriating. What if they fell into the wrong hands?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Zia

Zia Member

Um, they don't care. Most places you dont need a license, and most places it's not even illegal to actually own them, its just illegal to sell them in that specific county. I was at a show the other day and they were selling cobra's, rinkhals, gaboon vipers, rattlesnakes and all kinds of other crazy stuff. This is just one county north of a place that bans all snakes over 6 feet, so, they're definitely not hard to aquire and apparently people in the government arent extremely worried about them "falling into the wrong hands". And that seems to happen quite often, i hear all the time about someone's gaboon viper getting out and coiling in a heating duct or in a garbage can, or a pet rattler biting the neighbor's dog etc. etc.

12. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Well that makes me really angry. Humans can be despicable.

13. reako45

reako45 Member

I knew of a woman who got bit by her Gaboon & died.

reako45

14. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Exactly! I just don't understand why anyone would want to own something that could kill them if they're not experienced enough to handle it. How stupid can you be?

15. Kiger

Kiger New Member

The black mamba is one of the most dangerous and venomous snakes in the world. It may be the most venoumous. Only 100 dollars? That's like death for sure. For some human and the snake.

16. dreyer1

dreyer1 New Member

i know a guy he got bit by his mamba 4 times and survived! and the most venomous snake in the world is the feirce snake, heres a pic [​IMG] :)

17. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

The black mamba is close to if not in the top 10 most venemous snakes in the world. It is the most venemous in Africa and the fastest, you can't easily outrun them.

I believe the most venomous snake in the world is actually the coral sea snake, however they very rarely bite humans, and if they do it is really tough for their fangs to puncture our skin.

18. MyMo

MyMo Embryo

Ya your right about the sea snake...at least thats what animal planet says.

19. Odemus

Odemus Member

A lady in Tx about 15 or so years back had a baby rattlesnake she found..
    she let her 4 year old drop a mouse in the tank and it bit the 4 year old and the kid died...

how stupid is that

20. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

And yet people never learn.....

21. LewsKinslayer0

I don't think the majority of the population really knows the dangers of snakes. Really the only people who know the true power of the venom are those who are interested in snakes. And so many people are taught to feer them, that they are so scared of them they don't even look at pics of them.

I know Discovery Channel up here in Canada had The Anatomy of a Snake Bite on a while back. But that mainly looked at constrictors and how they kill prey. They did however compare it to a rattlesnake and cobra bites.

22. Zia

Zia Member

Fine, you're talking about scattered instances where people are flippin STUPID and don't know what they're doing. Many people learn and take care of these animals fine. Blake Herman has 2 gaboon vipers, Miss Murder has some cottonmouths, i know a few people who keep cobras and even one guy with a Taipan.

By the way, the Black mamba isnt on the top 10 most venomous species, all top 10 are from australia.

23. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I didn't say No one should own venomous snakes. If you know wtf you're doing, then hey, cool. But it's so easy just for anyone to buy them and so many people are damn stupid. They should require licenses EVERYWHERE in the world.

24. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

I was about to say, everyone's talking about the bad side of people owning venomous snakes. There's always going to be a risk, but if you give them the space and respect they deserve, you aren't endangering yourself too bad... it's just when people mix stupidity (especially alcohol) with dangerous snakes, and thats when people end up getting hurt or die...

25. LewsKinslayer0

I agree, there is always the good side to owning hots. The biggest IMO is the ability for the owners to help out and provide venmom to produce anti venom. I'll personally never have a hot because I know I'll make a mistake eventually and get bit, not because I did something stupid, just a lapse in concentration. I have a lot of respect for hot snakes.

A quick google search shows that many sites say all 10 are in Australia. I always thought there was one from outside Australia.