Gargoyle Gecko?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by KLiK, Oct 6, 2004.

1. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

can anyone tell me how well of a pet do gargoyle geckos make? also what is required to keep one alive and healthy? how big do they get when they are adults?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I got your back Klik, I'll reply to this one once I get back from school.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

my dawg right there jeff lol

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Ok Klik, heres what I have from the top of my head.

They generally need the same care as a crested gecko. Only a couple of differences really. Because they only attain a total length of about 5-6 inches, they can be kept in slighty smaller enclosures.

A single gargoyle gecko, may be kept in a 15 gallon high aquarium. Personally, I would make it a 20 high. In the wild they stay closer to the ground thean any other Rhacodactylus species, they can be found anywhere from 0-8 inches above the ground. As for multiple housing, I wouldnt put more than 3 in a 29 gallon aquarium. And never put males together, they will fight to the death.

They have very similair food needs, they can be fed alomost an identical feeding schedule as a crested. Except in slightly smaller portions. They should be fed various types of fruit babyfood such as peach, banana, apricot, etc. As well as crickets or some other feeder insect. Try to keep the feeding of mealworms to a minimum.

The substrate could be coconut fibers, moss, or soil. They enclosure should resemble a tropical rainforest, so I would put various plants in there, as well as different types of driftwood to climb on. They need a daily misting with a humidity at 60-90%.

They basically need a temperature range of 75-80 during the day, and a drop to 65-75 at night. UV light is not needed however it wont hurt to have it. They should be able to tell when aytime and nightime is, so a good 10-14 hours of light is needed.

These are great geckos from the experience I've had with them. They don't have as interesting colors or the tameness of a crested gecko, but they still are neat to have. I recomend any Rhacodactylus species to anyone who is looking for a gecko.

If you have any other quetions klik, feel free to ask away. I'm sure I might have missed a couple things. Like I said before, this was off the top of my head.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

sounds pretty good. i think i might try to make more room in my room and possibly get a gargoyle gecko at the next reptile show in november. i know this is going to be a dumb question...but female crested and female gargoyle gecko...same enclosure or no? probably no

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Although they live in basically the same area and require almost identical needs. I'm going to have to say no on this one. The gargoyle will most likely be close to half the size of the crested and may be picked on. Seperate enclosures are best, and it's best not to ever mix species.

Klik, no quetion is dumb. I'm sure there were several others who were thinking the same thing. I actually pondered about this same quetions awhile back, maybe 2 years ago. I sent an email to sandfire regarding the quetion and they said it was bad. But now I know thats its bad anyway so yea.

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

better to ask and know than to try and see devestating results

13. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Yep! :mrgreen: Very good quetion(s)!