Gecko Eye Issues

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by LindseyFixit, May 2, 2014.

1. LindseyFixit

LindseyFixit Embryo

Hi! My gecko has been having eye issues lately. He's retained skin around them from shedding, but has always been able to remove it on his own with a little time. This time however, he got the skin out (at least what I could see) but his eyes seem to have some sort of infection, they look cloudy, or like there's some sort of film over them.

I took him to a reptile vet, but the guy didn't seem to be all that great. He gave me some antibiotic drops and some anti-inflammatory drops and I used them as directed for the next 10 days. His eyes seemed to be clearing up, but then went back to where they were. He shed again, and they looked a lot better, but slowly went back to how they were.

He's able to get them open with a little help from a Q-tip and warm water, but they don't stay open for more than a couple hours. He's eating, but very scarcely. I'll also mention that he's about 4 years old, kept in a tank with proper temperature and humidity and has reptile carpet as his substrate. He's fed mostly mealworms with crickets occasionally too.

I'm thinking of buying some terramycin from the internet to try that, as I've read in a lot of forums that it works well. I just wanted to get some opinions from other owners who've used it before to make sure that it's safe, learn how to apply it, and how often I should apply it. I'm also open to any other suggestions as well! Unfortunately there isn't another herp vet anywhere near where I live (the one I went to was already 2 hours or so away) so I'm hoping to be able to help my gecko on my own.

Thanks so much!

-Lindsey