Gecko power outage emergency heating system

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Geckolad, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Geckolad

Geckolad New Member

I live in Maine and am currently new to Leos as pets. I have recently bought a cute pair of Leos and wanted to spoil them with a 40 gal. I have a heating lamp, daylight lamp, nightlight lamp, and a heating pad. I know for a fact there will be at least ONE power outage during Maine's rough winter. I am lost in what to do for heating other than using systems that need to be plugged in. Any suggestions on how to keep my Leos safe? Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

There is two things you can do. A generator which you can keep charged up and when the outtage happens plug your undertank heater into it. Or...plastic bin. (10 gallon works fine) paper towels and those hot packs that last for 48 hours set under one side along with a towel around the plastic bin. (use two bins you got two gecko's I explained as much in the other post you made). This should keep them warm enough till the power comes back on. Use a thamometer to read the amount of heat it makes. It should be about 92-94 degree's...96 would be fine also. Anything higher you could put more paper towels down to buffer the heat coming through.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Geckolad

Geckolad New Member

Ok thank you very much. I appreciate this a lot. I am now ordering them online to keep my babies safe. ANd by keeping them in 10 gallons does that reduce the amount of space needed to be heated?
    `

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Yes, you can get small 6 qt steralite or rubbermaid tubs from target. If you drill little holes on the sides for air you can use those as well. (even smaller air space to heat). Also, if you didn't buy the hand warmers yet, there are these (Link) that are made specifically for shipping reptiles, they're made to last 40 or 72 hours and guarantee to up the temperature in the air space around it for that long.