getting a iguana

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Camman13, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Camman13

Camman13 New Member

i'am gettin one i have owned a water dragon before i have a 20 gallon is that the right size for a baby an also wat do they eat

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Rickiii

Rickiii New Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MegannLizzy

MegannLizzy New Member

what do you plan on doing when it gets bigger? and what about its lighting? ya do your homework before you get one..

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Camman13

Camman13 New Member

I have i have money to get bigger ones when is christmas i get like 300 $ when feb gets her i am getting 400$ an aslo i all ready have 75 thats going 20 for the lizard an all the rest on alot of other stuff fot him i all ready have most of the thing

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Rickiii

Rickiii New Member

It takes allot of work, time and money to care for an iguana. IMO, you dont have the proper enclosure or background knowledge yet.

Take some time, read a few books, and prepare you and your parents for taking on this responsibility. Everyone involved (including the ig) will be able to handle things better if you take care of things ahead of time

http://stream.realimpact.net/?file=realimp...es/reptiles.smi

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. RumRunner

RumRunner Embryo

camman13 can you type better english that sentence made no sense to me...sorry but Iguanas are a HUGE responsibility and I just dont think its repsonsible on your part to get such an animal when you dont have the large cage,special diet, adequate lighting, and proper knowledge to own such a large creature. If not properly cared for an iguana can be VERY mean and their tails are first class weapons. I highly do NOT reccomend you getting an iguan. That doesnt mean later once all the equipment is gathered that you cant get one. I just want to make sure you know all you can, and have the proper items to care for an iguana. Its sad to see so many of these magnificent animals in shelters. I would hate for you to have to get rid of your iguana because it was mean or got to big for you to handle or for any reason. I mean this in the most compassionate, respectful way possible PLEASE DONT GET AN IGUANA YET

12. MegannLizzy

MegannLizzy New Member

This is one reason i feel bad about taking my lizzy out in her harness letting people pet her, and see how tame and what a good girl she is. I try to explain not all iguanas are like this many do not understand how long it took me "Everyday" working with her non stop. When we got her, we rescued her from being put into the snow in Nov. she was missing toes, in a tank way to small for her and tank was nasty she had stuff stuck on her with only a heat rock!!!! i couldnt believe it, she would bite me and hit me with her tail but bc she didnt trust me I had to earn her trust. Its sad to see pet stores dont tell the people who buy the baby iguanas " this is what you got to look forward to" pictures of how big the reptile gets and show some horror stories of iguanas not taken care of and the damage a mean iguana can do to a human, but i think they are only mean bc of there owners.
    We went to the pet store last night and a lady who we always talk to bc she loves lizzy showed us a beardie who was dropped off.. with very bad MBD omg he was so sick...hes front and back legs were so bad he wasnt given anything for 3 yrs he lived with a house hold light and a heat rock thats it he couldnt move the lady is gonna adopt him she has alot of bearies and reptile owners can tell when someones good to there reptiles. please think before you get one look into it alot more, they are so much work. and do take alot of money time and patience and love........

13. Camman13

Camman13 New Member

Look i can do wat ever i wont you little freaks

14. hornedfrog

hornedfrog Member

Statements like that really reveal a person's level of maturity. These people are not trying to be mean to you. They are trying to help both you and your future iguana.

15. RumRunner

RumRunner Embryo

I'll no longer respond to your threads Camman, that was very rude and immature, you posted a thread obviously askign what to do and what you need, I stated my opinion, thats it. I didnt mean it in a bad way, its true you can do whatever you want, but in the end you will regret it because you'll see MeganLizzy and I were right.

16. Camman13

Camman13 New Member

Yes you might be rite but if your dad has owned a iguana in the past an your uncle has owned Lizards in the past an there getting you the rite info an stuff then i think i can do wat ever i want an you an meganlizzy yes know alot of stuff an are helpful i was just seeing if there was anything i new was not true or to get new info yes maybe the info my dad an uncle give me might not be the best but at least i know wat i am doing an stuff so back off

17. RumRunner

RumRunner Embryo

well have fun " an stuff " with that camman

18. MegannLizzy

MegannLizzy New Member

OK i am going to put this nicely...an iguana is a living thing should only be taken in and taken care of when people know how. You can damage the iguana if you do not have the right lights, right food, and right enclosure, and much more! Trust me Lizzy has signs of damage from her past owners, its sad. She can not climb like she should be able to, she will never reach her body length due to where they kept her. please looks at these sites
    http://www.niad.org/horror.html
    http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2001/01/iguana126.html
    no one is saying you wont do a good job if you got one but "i, can't speak for others"...dont think you know as much as you need to, you need to think about it and look into it more get everything ready lights food calcium powder a room and your own frame of mind and patience, needs to be on the top of the list, its not easy I have many marks from when I was training Lizzy cuts from claws teeth marks and was it worth it yes but seems like it took forever to get to the point where I am with her now. I just don't want you to get a baby iguana and be able to semi. care for it when its a baby and when it gets to big its gone. Given away to someone who doesn't know anything but thinks there cool. and then hopefully it falls into the hands of someone who knows what they are doing and they have to start all over and try to tame it and hopfully it dosnt have MBD have you seen iguana or beardies with that? omg.. how could someone even let an animal get to that point? We are willing to help but cant help if you don't like what we have to say. Please think twice...

19. greydragon12345

greydragon12345 Embryo

i have a question for you canmanhow big is your dads iggy if it died a while back how big did it get and how long did he have it because alot of information has changed on the proper care if iggysi remeber when i first got oneevery one said that you must get a heat rock (now we know that is very bad for them)also i was told that they need lots of insects in there diet (now we know that is not the case)we now know that they need very special light to help there bodys produce all the things they need for a good life they are learning new things about iggy almost every day
    also what type of lizards does your uncle keep?
    every one here just wants what is best for the lizards in my opion some of the people here are the lawers for lizard kind to help us learnhow to take the best careof our lizard friends because you cant just toss em away when you get tired of them
    but if you get an iggy good luck i got rid of mine because i was spending more money on his food then on my own i spent more in one week on his food then in a month of my own so good luck

20. Camman13returns

Camman13returns Embryo

Well for some reason i was banned i got an iguana an it is the best it is in a 40 gallon an my uncle is going to make one in the future so thanks for the help an forgive me i got mad an stuff i'am also getting a ribbon snake thanks for the help an best for all of yal an also my dad got the rite stuff an also i dont feed crix at least i have not yet well thats eat for me on this site so thanks i might come every now an them to show you my set up an stuff

21. MegannLizzy

MegannLizzy New Member

OMG. <sigh>

22. Camman13returns

Camman13returns Embryo

Lizzy Nice Iguana

23. rouqie

rouqie Embryo

I have a baby iguana that I call spaz. he is in a 20 gallon tank for right now. He has a mercury vapor bulb and a UV light on seperate sides of the tank. He has real wood in the tank. he has a water dish and gets fresh vegitation everyday. I am not stupid I realize that he will need a much bigger enclosure in the future and I am having a friend build me one. But for now the small tank works. So If you just have a baby, leave your precious child in little tank for now.

24. MegannLizzy

MegannLizzy New Member

and if it stunts its growth? what dosnt matter? would you like me to show you how many sites say for a small iguana it needs a 55 gallon? AT least.
    what I am trying to understand is why would someone get an iguana if they do not have everything they need? would you have a child without having baby things? i dont think you would so why do it to animals.. They need just as much care and cost just as much. I hope your friend is building it now, and your not waiting until it gets bigger.

25. rouqie

rouqie Embryo

I hate to think that you believe everything that you read on the internet. I have raised more then a few reptiles in my day. I honestly don't believe that it will stunt his growth being in a smaller cage for now. I have raised a neonate monitor that reached 7 feet long and lived well beyond his expected age. I have also rescued one iguana that I raised to be very gentle and now my newest baby dosn't seem to be having any problems. I am sure that camman realizes what size they become but I was just being supportive and telling him that it's okay to start off with a smaller enclosure and move up to a bigger one later.