getting a pair of leos for breeding

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by noobchamowner, Oct 19, 2006.

1. ben1

ben1 New Member

Dont worry about him not drinking, ive had my leo for 4 months and i havent seen her drink from the water dish yet. They get a lot of their moisture from insects.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. AnimalGurl

AnimalGurl Member

U have a humid hide?? They drink at night as that is when they are the most active and he is prolly drinkin at night when u don't see him. the also drink off the walls of their humid hides licking dropletts. I wouldn't worry about that. try to feed like 3 supers every 2 days rather than 6 all at once.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

well i did not know how much they eat in a day. my fault but he ate all six i had for him. i kind for got he is not like my beardis lol they eat like monsters!!! and yes i do have a humid hide... i was just wonderin. i dont got to sleep till like 5 am and sleep till like 2pm yes i know i am lazy lol. but thos are my hours and i still dont see him drink but its ok i will keep on providing fresh water evry day

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. AnimalGurl

AnimalGurl Member

yup keep it up yeah my full grown female pepsi
    [​IMG]
    she eats like 2-3 supers every 2 days that is it or 1 silkie every 2 days it all depends. i wouldn't offer that many again at most 4 not 6 yeah the beardies eat ALOT more than leos lol. but its ok now u know i had my leo do the same thing one day but she kept em all down that is when i switched from crix (she really didn't like those much) now she just eats supers :wink:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

so 3 to 4 supers every 2 days?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

They usually are pretty good about knowing when they are full and/or hungry. I think she just really really liked the supers and may have over eaten, and now probably knows better. When you offer them give her time to swallow them fully, a bit between each worm. My super eaters eat, on average, three a night. I offer them every night to my adults, if they eat great, if not no big deal. Let her eat what she wants when she wants...I don't think she will over eat again!

12. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

The other part of all of this is the sand....impaction and sand build up do prevent proper digestion, no matter what the temps are or how much or little they eat. Just something to keep in the back of your head.

13. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

its a male lol but no prob. yea i know about the sand ive been think bout changein it its realy messy and gets all in the water.. eve tho it looks cool i might change it this weekend.. is shelf liner ok? i use it on my beardies.

14. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

so i am not woried any more about him not drinkin i just saw him drink 3 times so it all good.

15. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

ok make it 4 times lol

16. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

oh yea 1 more thing whats better moss or wet papper towle in the humid hide

17. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

I put moss in then a wet papertowl over the moss.

18. LeoDee

LeoDee Well-Known Member

This is the best way to do it, so your leo can't ingest the moss. I've found that moss holds moisture better than a wad of papertowels.

19. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Shelf liners shld work well. I use them for my beardie too. I believe many people here have successfully used it for leos. The only thing I'd keep an eye on at first is how the UTH works with it. I'm assuming that since it works fine in a beardie cage where the basking spot is 100+, heating it to 90-ish shldn't affect it at all - just not sure about how efficient it is in heat transfer.

20. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

As for moss vs papertowel in humid hides, it's personal preference. Moss tends to hold moisture better so you won't have to mist it as often. Some people don't like them because crickets tend to hide in there. Some leos (like mine) love to push it out of the hide and make a mess. On rare occasions, leos have eaten them and caused problems but that's usually young babies. A combo method like thelollapalooza uses may be the best of both worlds.

21. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

thx for all the answers on the moss thing... so i got good news, as some of you know he ate to much when i first got him and he regurg all 6. but i feed him yesterday night he ate 3 worms and the stayed down so now i fell even better

22. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

so i know the most healthy way to get stoney healthy is to use gutloaded supers what is the best way to gutload them and whats the pros and con of commercial gutload and what are the pros and cons of making your own gutload

23. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

i ment fat lol (around 100 grams)

24. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Well commercial gutload is easy because you can just order it and bam! it's delivered to your door. Making your own can involve a lot of hard work searching down the right ingredients.

As with anything, you need to do some research. If you are buying or making you want to make sure the ingredients are safe for your leo. cricketfood.com and progeckos(?) make some great gutload that a number of members here use. Just be sure to be reading ingredients and making sure the food is appropriate for the particular bug that will be eating it.

25. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

ok so ifound a whole bunch of sites that have gutload but none of them took credit card so i just went to flukers and got 8 pounds of gutload for 15 bucks!!