Getting to the vet?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by GoddessFreya, Jun 15, 2009.

1. GoddessFreya

GoddessFreya Embryo

I'm going to take my iguana, Kouta, to the vet. He's not very old yet, only about 6 inches SVL, and I was planning on taking him in the box he came home from the vet in, as he's still small enough to fit in there comfortably. But it's hard to find good reptile vets in the area, and the drive will probably be a half hour or so, maybe a bit longer. So my questions are:

1) Should I take Kouta in the aforementioned box, or should I put him in the larger cat/dog carrier we have? If so, what can I do to make him more comfortable?
    2) Will the time it takes us to get to the vet, have him checked, and get home be too long for him to go without some form of UV/heat? Should I get a heating pad for the box/carrier?

Thanks in advance for any and all help! =)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    With the temperatures most people are having right now, he will be fine for the length of time it will take.
    I would use the larger carrier and place a blanket or large towel of the floor.
    He will get better ventilation in there, if there are mesh or wire grills make sure he cant get stuck in them. Dont let him sit in a draught from open window etc.
    He will be fine like that, better to have them cooler than overheat.