going for walks???

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Bokelana, May 11, 2005.

1. Bokelana

Bokelana New Member

how big should my monitor be before i start taking him for "walks"? the walks shuld be more like a roam around the yard right? and would it be a bad idea to let him roam around the driveway(which is white concrete, so i dont think it gets too hot) or should i only have him in the grass, and a good distance away from the trees??? :?: :?: :?:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

I was wandering the same about my tegu

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

if you mean your sav, you can take him out whenever you want as long as you watch him (that would apply for the tegu as well). when he is fully grown you would still have to watch him and he will most likely try to burrow outside and that could be a problem to get him out.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Bokelana

Bokelana New Member

well my sav is only but 10 inches. wouldnt he get away? do they make leashes that small???

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

leashes would do no good on a monitor that size. i have seen at least 4savs escape from the ones that you get in petstores. i would just walk around with him. thats what i did with mine. keep in mind they are fast and can be pretty flighty outside on their own

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. varanus_rex

varanus_rex Embryo

i walked with mine too and had no problem, just dont take your eyes off him. (only when he is bigger though). leashes r a ploy to rip u off because a leash/harness will not work on something whose head is smaller than his neck. if u want to start while he is that small just walk him around the room for awhile where he cant get away

12. Bokelana

Bokelana New Member

what about the leashes that are more of well.. like harnesses. u know the ones that go around their arms?

13. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i had one for my sav, it was total garbage. he was able to get out of it like it was never on.

14. Fiend4Lizards

Fiend4Lizards New Member

have fun with the walk as long as u keep a good eye on him/her

15. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

the leashes sold at pet stores are easy for monitors to get out of because of their short legs

16. nomad85

nomad85 Member

there are harnesses that go around the front feet and do not let the animal escape, I think mthorpe has one for his beardie, but it could be used for a small sav, they have a few sizes.