Gold Tegu Rescue?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Advent, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Advent

Advent Member

Theres this gold tegu that has been in my pet store since around christmas, it's pretty improperly cared for. It's 39.99 and I have a spare 50 gallon long tank.

Think I should take it? It's really cool, but really mean.

Anyone have a care sheet for them, and what do they eat?

Thanks.

If anyone would like to take this, I would buy it and ship it to you.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Advent

Advent Member

I don't think I'll have room for an 8 foot long enclosure. Is there any other Tegus or monitors that are smaller? I could probly supply something like 5ftx3ft, but that's a maybe. I could also supply outside time in the summers.

I like the forked tounge of the Tegu, do Monitors have this aswell? I also like the diet. I could give them eggs from my breakfast, some leftover crickets from my dragon, and like a mouse once a week.

Last, smell. Do they smell bad? I mean will the stools stink up the room, seeing they are mostly carnivores. It will most likely be in my room.

Thanks.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Virginia

Virginia New Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Advent

Advent Member

What kind of cleaning, normal spot cleaning? Or like a thorough clean daily?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Yeah the monitors have that tongue too, the Jacobs organ.
    Just spot cleaning, when it poops just pick it up. Fabreeze does the room wonders too. You don't have to like, dump the sand everyday or anything, just get one of those sand sifters, like you would with a beardie.
    How unproperly cared for is it? How mean?

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

dont give them left over eggs from breakfast if they have salt on it. they would also need a mouse more then once a week. as for smaller monitors: ackies, timors, and storrs rarely ever reach 3ft.

13. Advent

Advent Member

What do you think? Dwarf Tegu, or one the smaller monitors? (if i were to get one)

The tegu is in like a 30 gallon, no heat or UV, and just fed large crickets, with no calcium or anything. If you stick your hand in to change it's water or something, it will go for your hand.

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i have no experience with a dwarf tegu, but timors and ackies are great. timors can be a little skittish when you first get them, but they will open up to you.
    Tegus and Monitors dont need UV lighting but they do need a good basking spot. i would talk with the manager of the store about that

15. Advent

Advent Member

So you think that I could keep some sort of small monitor in my 50 gallon long? 3ftx18"x16? I could do some modifications to it and make it more like 3x2x2.

By the sound of it, Monitors are more fun to care for?

What would you do if you were me. (Wanting something fun to put in a spare 50 gallon)

16. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

in a 50 gallon you could keep an ackie in there. if i was you id get a red ackie.

17. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Monitors are just as fun, but I believe that they are definetly a little more work to tame. But they're cool animals. It's just that when my monitors all grew up, they got sluggish, which is great if you don't want to spend all your time playing with them. But I love em

18. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

african monitors are the only ones that get lazy with age. as long as there is enough in the enclosure to keep them occupied they shouldnt become lazy

19. Advent

Advent Member

Just to get a choice on both sides, which tegu would work in a small space?

Do ackies eat vegitables and stuff aswell as mice and crickets? (Eggs, or a small salad and such?)

Thanks for all your help.

20. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

ackies are strictly carnivorus. no eggs should be given unless it is a treat.

21. usmckitten

usmckitten New Member

[quote="Advent"]Theres this gold tegu that has been in my pet store since around christmas, it's pretty improperly cared for. It's 39.99 and I have a spare 50 gallon long tank.

Think I should take it? It's really cool, but really mean.

Anyone have a care sheet for them, and what do they eat?

Thanks.

If anyone would like to take this, I would buy it and ship it to you.[/quote]

if it is that bad off my husband and I will take him.. he would fit in nicely with our other herps.

Let me know

Thanks
    Kristin

22. Pink_Geckooo

Pink_Geckooo Embryo

OK FIRST AND FORMOST DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT PUT A TEGU OR MONITOR IN SAND they like to dig and usually sleep under their mulsh in their tank SAND WILL CAUSE IMPACTION on tegus and monitors i wish i took a picture i was at petstore near my house and they had a baby columbian tegu in a tank with sand the poor thing could barely move his mouth was covered in sand... they lick their habitate please do not put it in sand it would hurt it a lot!!!

23. Pink_Geckooo

Pink_Geckooo Embryo

also once monitors and tegus start eating eggs thats all they may want to eat which isnt good for their diet and on top of that it makes their crap SMELL!!!!!!

24. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

it is safe to put CERTAIN monitors on sand, but none that we are talking about in this topic. all monitor and tegu feces smell, simply because they are carnivors that is why it smells not because of eggs.

25. Fiend4Lizards

Fiend4Lizards New Member

i think you should go for it. If you take care of it properly it'll turn around