Goliath Worms?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Raziel, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Raziel

Raziel Member

The other day I was in a petshop and saw these awesome loking worms, they looked like a silkworm but green with blue lightning bolts at their sides. I asked the guy there about them and he said their nutritional value was identical to that of the silkworm.

My questions are
    1)Does anyone know which worm is actually better: The Goliath or Silk?
    2)Has anyone had expirience feeding them and to which of their herps?
    3)Anyone attempt breeding them?
    4)Any general info on them?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

never heard of them

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ThePHX

ThePHX Member

arent they the same just much much bigger? I thought they were always goliath silkworms...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Wow, what can I say that hasn't already been said.
    Just like superworms aren't just really big mealworms, these aren't just really big silkworms. They are a completely different species of moth that typically feeds on tomatoes, tobacco, and potato plants. There are actually 2 different sub-species, the tomato and the tobacco varieties.

I've never personally used them for my leos, as I don't need anything that big, but people do use them as feeders for larger herps. I'm not sure exactly how they stack up against silks, but they probably are pretty similar.
    And I'll admit that alot of this info I just pulled out of a few google searches. While I have heard of them used as a feeder, I don't really know much about them. I just wanted to get the ball rolling after the previous 2 posts didn't really help you at all and this had been idle for almost 2 weeks.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ThePHX

ThePHX Member

i like bein told im wron :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

i have heard that they are baby luna moths. but im not sure. i want to get some just to see if they really are.

12. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Nope, they aren't the larvae of luna moths. Here is the wikipedia site for hornworms. That's a much cheaper, quicker, and easier way to find out if they are or aren't luna moths: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornworm
    You can look up luna moths while you're there to see what those larvae look like.

13. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Yeah well.... my David Worm can beat up your Goliath Worm.

14. catalyst

catalyst New Member

I did a quick google check for nutritional info on the two worms but didn't come up with much. I've tried hornworms (aka Goliath worms) with my dragon before and she loved them. I know of several people who succesfully use these worms as a staple for their dragons. I use them only as a treat because they're fairly expensive and require a specialized food just like silk worms do.