Good first snake

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by ~Eris~, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Langksta_87

Langksta_87 Embryo

I agree that corn snakes are really good beginner snakes. I got my first corn snake when i was 13 and have had her (worm) for four years now, she's a beautiful 4 and a half foot charcoal corn. My parents also just recently bought me a sunglow hatchling for christmas his name is catipillar and is about just over a foot long. I also just bought three new snakes, the first being a full grown 5 and a half foot sunglow male corn (charlie), the second being a 5 year old 5 foot long female snow corn (snow) and the last being a 5 foot long male sunglow corn (sunny).
    All of my snakes have a perfect temper, they all are eating, and perfectly content in there habitats.
    If you are looking to buy a corn snake i am going to breed both my female snakes in about two months, if anyone would like to contact me about buying one call (1-403-627-4135) Week nights at 7:00pm-10:00pm and weekends from 5:00pm to 10:00pm , i live in pincher creek ,alberta.Canada. My name is Krista Lang by the way. This would be my first time breeding them but i am confident it will all turn out well.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Cynthia,

With all due respect I have to disagree with some of what you have said here. Not that they aren't the BEST beginner snakes because I agree with you somewhat but not to the extent you describe.

I don't know what you consider large but a better description for that would 3-5 feet for a male and 4-6 feet for a female. Let the poster consider what is and what isn't large. They stop eating for reasons we don't understand and if you know that ahead of time it's really not that big of a deal. All you have to do is watch their weight and if it doesn't go down, don't worry about it. You can easily keep a ball in a 30 gallon tank it's whole life and the setup is not that complicated. Belly heat at 90 degrees on the warm end and 80 on the cool end. Don't worry about the humidity too much if you use a humidity hide. More testy as in how? Balls are known to be one of the most docile snakes you can have as a pet. My reasoning for arguing your point is not because I enjoy my ball and have never had any problems with it, my reasoning is because you give general descriptions like "large" and "complicated" when describing them and it very well may be YOUR opinion that these are not good beginner snakes because of your particular experience or lack there of with them.

That being said I do understand where you come from and agree the other snakes mentioned may be a little easier to keep but I just think there's not that big of a gap in regards to the level of difficulty and wish details instead of vague, misleading statements were given when describing them.