Good large starter snakes

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Freaky_pete, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

I know that King snakes and all the other small ones are good starters.. but I've see held and been biten by a King snake and my freinds said that from there experience all there kings snakes have been fighty And I rather want a Bigger Pyton/Boa sized snake... 1 I like big :D But I've worked with Boa's and Pythons before and they where kind... and I need somthing bigger well I dont know I dont want it getting places that I dont know of.. Ex: Behind book case... In the walls like all my hamsters have done.. Um yhea... that the real reson... Um So really whats a good Constricter to start with?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nicole12345

nicole12345 New Member

I would say a rosy boa or a sand boa are good choices,but if it was me I would probably get a corn snake they are good beginner snakes they eat well and are good tempered,and cheap you can get one for probably $15.As for the kingsnakes they are good to but they get a little bit bigger but they generally are good eaters and freindly snakes and milksnakes would not be your best choice for a beginner.They are a little tricky sometimes when it comes to eating and one minute there fine and the next he might be bitting your hand,I love milksnakes I think they are beautiful snakes I have 2 a eastern milk and a New Mexican milk.I hope this helps.And good luck with your new snake no matter which one you choose I am sure you will be happy.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nicole12345

nicole12345 New Member

What kind of a lentgh are you looking for?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nicole12345

nicole12345 New Member

If you like large i would have to say a reticulated python as they are the largest snake species in the world but they are definately not for a starter snake as they can grow to 35 feet

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. nicole12345

nicole12345 New Member

If you like large i would have to say a reticulated python as they are the largest snake species in the world but they are definately not for a starter snake as they can grow to 35 feet

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Freaky_pete

No not a Reticulated Pyton... to big... Perferd length would be no bigger then 5-6 feet. And I havent seen corn snakes bigger then a 5 week old baby... Um If I showed you pictures of the tank I got from a freind that he used to keep his king sanke in you would see a HUGE crack and it might just be his but That king snake is mean.

12. nicole12345

nicole12345 New Member

corn snakes grow to 5 foot and sometimes 6 they are the best starter snakes but if u want a python or boa i would go with a ball python or a rosie boa

13. nicole12345

nicole12345 New Member

Ball pythons are good as starter snakes but they rarely grow past 4 foot but i would recomend 1 of them as they are docile

14. Freaky_pete

Yhea I Like Ball pytons... I love em.. so nice.. Thats probally what I will get... what tank demetions will they need? Im building one outa wood and probally plexy or Renforced plastice coverd chicken wire

15. Spoony

Spoony Embryo

If you want a Ball Python, be sure to get it from a good breeder that can prove to you it is eating unscented Frozen Thawed mice. Ball Pythons from chain petstores are often wild caught, or farmed in africa. They will more likely than not, be horrible eaters, go off feed, and be a pain in the bum. They are also horribley over priced.

I have no idea how big 5 week old baby is, but I'll assume under 2 feet. If you've never seen a corn snake larger than two feet, you've probably only seen hatchlings or yearlings. If fed correctly they can reach up to 5-6 feet. They are more slender than ball pythons though, which could give them the affect of looking smaller. They also come in alot of colors, and you don't have to be a millionare to afford a pretty cornsnake.

16. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I would recommend staying away from a Ball Python as a first snake. They are great second snake but dont tend to deal with the husbandry errors a new person can make when learning about setting up and maintaining a cage. Hog Island Boas, Mexican Boa, and other locale (island) boas are good as starters and usually dont max out abotve the 6' range. They also tend to be lighter bodied than Colombian boas too. Another snake worth considering is a Irian Jaya Carpet Python.

17. Freaky_pete

any where I can see pics of these snakes Stormyva?

18. Freaky_pete

Oh and about getting one from the breeders Either I'll get it from a pet store owner that breed his own snakes or from the Edmonton Reptile Expo this Oct

19. nicole12345

nicole12345 New Member

you can loadsa pics of carpet pythons if you just typr it in on google pictures

20. nicole12345

nicole12345 New Member

21. nicole12345

nicole12345 New Member

22. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

nicole12345 you may have read one of my posts about the Peruvian being a good moderate size snake. I dont know where my head was when I wrote that... Peruvian BCC get very large and require a moderate level of experience to keep properly. They are not as resistant to the learning curve as some other snakes like the BCIs.

Freakypete.... click the banner in my signature to go to my website and then click on the gallery link. The gallery has pics of most of the snakes in our collection.

23. Freaky_pete

Wow are those your snakes stormyva? Snape the Irian jaya carpet pyton looks so nice!

24. Kujila

Kujila New Member

Western Hognose man, beautfiul snakes, awesome temperment, they will never bit you...well, I mean, they *can* but they reaaaaally don't ever try. They strike with a closed mouth. "Mock strikes" I believe they're called.

25. redknee

redknee Embryo

I would say a good large snake to begin with would be a baby boa thats what i started with he was about 8 inches when i bought him had got to 8 ft and he was soft as a bun :( i had to sale him eventually :( as i went travelling in austrailia for 3 months and had no one to look after him, he went to a good home thou :) hes been bred with a few red tails since i sold him :D
    now i have
    1.1 childrens python
    1 hognose
    1 tokay called flea ( hes thinks hes a komodo dragon) lol
    4 leopard geckos
    1 mexican red knee
    1 salmon pink tarantula (shes gigantic o_0) and has a bad attitude lol