good turtle?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by leoosrul, Aug 6, 2008.

1. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

ok i really really hate to ask this question. but is there any turtle that can live its entire life in a 10 gallon aquarium? im pretty sure what the answer will be but my dad insists that there is one and wont let me tell him there isnt one.

thanks
    josh

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

sure.. if you want its entire life to be entirely too short.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

thank you for that answer kev. that is the perfect response. i am 100 percent sure that my dad will give up the 10 gallon turtle idea now. ;) i feel so relieved now because i know a turtle wont have a horrible life.

but now i have a nother question...what is the smallest tank size for any type of adult turtle? and what is the name of that turtle. i was searching on google and other search sites and a couple of them said you can keep a RES in a 20L aquarium for its whole life...i just quit looking after that.

all help is appreciated
    josh

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

Turtles are incredible creatures and have an incredible memory. Unlike fish, each lap around their aquarium is not new. So turtles can be hard to keep but are very cool to watch. So I would recommend to get the largest aquarium possible. Unless your tight on space this good advice for any animal. Do you know what kind of turtle do you want to get?

Also, I would suggest to check your local adoption centers first for turtles because they are one of the most given up pets.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

you would need a 75 gallon (or more) for a single adult RES. and some serious filtration to keep it clean. RES can and will grow to about 12" that is the width of a 20L.

if you want a turtle that stays small, consider a stinkpot, it will max out at around 4 inches, is almost entirely aquatic and generally very easy to take care of. they are also pretty reasonable in price. the babies are VERY small though so it may be better to look for one that is a year old if you can. Would be fine in a 20L or 20H even.

spotted turtles stay small too.. but they arent the best swimmers and will need more of an "amphibious" setup. They are also more expensive.

Baby stinkpot (yes, that's a dime)
    [​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

Those turtles are really cool.

12. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

thank you for the responses guys.

i really dont have any idea on which turtle my dad wants but im betting that the stinkpot is the one that he will go for.

i looked around on the internet for a local adoption center but i cant seem to find any. i only found one for dogs and cats...there is a petco and petsmart around me so im thinking that i can try and look for them there

josh

13. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

Egyptian turtles are really small too. I am not sure of their care requirements though.

14. turtlebreeder

turtlebreeder Embryo

Stinkpot musks and Three stripe muds would be a good choice. Both turtles max out at 4 inches and are quite hardy and a ball to watch in the tank. They are almost totaly aquatic and love to have lots of plants and hiding spots in their tank. They will eat small fish so beware of trying them in the familys fish aquarium. We breed hundreds of babies each season and they are one of the cutest babies out there. As far as egyptians are concerned , they are a tortoise and although small in size they are very big in price with the average retail between $600 - $1000 each. Stinkpots and three stripes sell for around $30 each.

15. wiccabrat

wiccabrat Embryo

I know this thread hasn't been posted in for a bit but I wanted to jump in and say most turtles can graduate to different size tanks. They don't need a huge tank to start you change the size as the turtle grows. It would be overkill and unhealthy to put a baby in a huge tank. That said, the African Side neck stays pretty small and they don't need much out of water space. The painteds are on small side to and again just basking spots, but they're messy. I have 3 adult RES and no way would I put even one in any size tank. They need a pond or pool in my opinion as they're each the size of a dinner plate. In my opinion the best turtle to keep is a spiny soft shell but you have to have a huge set up when they finally get big. Just research any you're interested in, look for adult size and judge accordingly. You can go the other way to and get a box turtle, in most ways they're alot easier, no filters and such and some stay pretty small. They do require they're own special set up though.

16. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

17. orchidianchild

orchidianchild Embryo

that was thorough lol. Sorry I don't have any advice. I don't know much about turtles I was reading and then I saw that. I don't know why the answer is funny. Sorry :)