Goodbye Wally. **lots of pics**

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by kephy, Aug 18, 2007.

1. kephy

kephy Moderator

Wally was our cat. We had to euthanize him last night.

My husband adopted him from a cat rescue that a woman was running out of her garage. He had been raised in a cat mill and used up as a stud then basically thrown away. When the woman got him he had an embedded collar. Curt basically had to teach him that human affection was a good thing, and he returned it ten-fold. He loved Curt like I have never seen a cat love anyone, and I've had a lot of cats. When Curt moved in with me, Wally was SO jealous! We eventually bonded, but never like the two guys.

He was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy (a heart disease) about six years ago, and at the time the vet gave him 3 years to live. Well, being the incredible cat that he was, he doubled it. Even as he came into old age, he was as feisty as ever and didn't slow down at all. We even started joking about how he would outlive us all.

Last night he had a sudden blood clot and lost complete use of his left hind leg. It happened fast, one minute he was begging for dinner and driving us crazy, and less than 20 minutes later we found him under the fouton unable to walk.

We took him straight to the emergency clinic and they gave him an injection for the pain right away. Then they came to talk to us. He had no pulse in his leg. The prognosis was very poor, he was not going to completely recover no matter how much money we would have spent. And because of his heart condition, the best case scenario they could give us was six months of painful reoccurring clots and expensive vet treatments before we'd inevitably have to make the choice for euthanasia anyways. And that best case scenario wasn't even very likely, chances are we would have had less than weeks.

So we decided the best thing to do was spare him the suffering. He was such an independent cat, he would have hated not being able to walk, and all the babying and doting over him. The way it happened, he got to spend his last day hanging out in his favorite person's lap (my husband), being a normal cat, and never suffered poor quality of life.

In his interests, I truly believe it was the best thing for him. But for us, I can't even begin to describe how hard it was to lose him so suddenly, and to make that decision when only a few hours before he had been so well.

He will be fiercely missed.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

RE: Goodbye Wally.

Aww, i'm so sorry to hear that Mandee. Wally will be very thankful for giving him a second chance though. He sounded like a fighter!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kephy

kephy Moderator

Thanks for the kind words.

I have some pictures now.... Yes, he looks kinda wierd. He was a cornish-rex that's how they are supposed to look, I promise. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. childofbean

childofbean New Member

Aww, he was gorgeous.

RIP :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. SarahandReptar

SarahandReptar Embryo

That is the most beatiful cat i have ever seen, im so sorry for your loss x

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kephy

kephy Moderator

Thank you. His personality was equally beautiful. Everyone who met him thought he was the most unique cat and wanted to take him home with them.

12. craziiikris10

craziiikris10 Member

aww i have 5 cats that i hold dear, i used to have 6 i know how u feel. sorry for ur loss!

13. BDI

BDI Embryo

you should be proud that you filled her life with lots of love and affection.R.I.P