GOT MYSELF A BOA!!

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Reptile_Mann, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Reptile_Mann

Reptile_Mann New Member

Ok so make it work for its food, make it move a little eh, yea central american boas, when they bite it bleeds but it doesnt hurt that much.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Issa

Issa New Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

The question still remains...what are the daily requirements for a healthy captive snake? Figures and compositions can be looked at all day, and on the whole a rat does look better, but what is it that a snake really needs? How much fat, protein, ash, calcium etc. do they really need to live long and healthy lives? Maybe, just maybe a rat is overkill in some areas?
    There are some snakes that never switch from mice to rats and they do fine and live long, seemingly happy lives.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Issa

Issa New Member

I don't know whether I'd class rats as overkill myself, from a personal (and totally unverifiable apart from my own written records) experiance I found a more rapid weight gain when I switched my two balls from mice to rats. But I can totally see where you are coming from questioning whether highter nutrient contents on paper are necessarily better for the animals.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Agreed with the above, once I switched my ball from 3 mice at a sitting to 1 small rat, weight gains came incredibly fast. I was virtually having a shed every 2-3 feeds!

Of course, what my local pet store calls *small* rats, I call daschunds.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. HadesBP18

HadesBP18 Member

Jesus Skunky, 3 in every sitting?! That was a no no *spanky spank* If the ol Colonel gets ready for Medium rats, move him up before stuffing him full of several small rats :D

Whenever Hades goes off feed and finally starts eating again, I go out of my way to feed him baby rats as opposed to adult mice. They help a lot with putting his weight back on. But I wouldn't go so far as to never use mice. They seem to work well too.

12. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a few mice --- they were small and the Col was nowhere near fat enough to tackle the big rats at my local pet store.....so he had a three course meal :D No problems whatsoever. But heck, feeding time took foreeeeeeeever!

13. HadesBP18

HadesBP18 Member

Better to feed one appropriately sized than a bunch of smaller ones. I'm sure he could've taken a small rat or even a weanling if they are bigger than normal.

14. CameronG15

CameronG15 Embryo

Congrats to both of you.