gravid yellow ackie pics and cage

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by varanidfan, Apr 3, 2005.

1. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    had the substrate too shallow, had to pile it all up on the other side of the enclosure, hopefully it will do the trick
    thanks for looking

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

nice enclosure and ackie. why not put a foot or 2 of substrate? this way she can burrow in it and lay eggs? what size tank is that?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

substrate

that is a 75 gal tank, it is now 11" deep on the right side, i ran out of cocontu fiber bricks so and i wasnt really expecting her to become gravid so quickly after bringing her home (three days)...lol i got it right now, i can go too deeper as the cage isnt that deep so i will definately take that into consideration when i set their troughs up.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

have you tried using raw dirt? you can pick it up at wallmart or home depot for around $1.50

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

yeah

its seasonal around here, not too mention everything is mud right now because of all the rain we have been getting, as soon as it dries up i will definately be getting a truck load or two of it for all my cages.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

yea around here its seasonal too, that is why i stock up in the summer lol home depot has 40lb bags of Top Soil for $1.50+tax so i buy a couple bags of it at a time. since i got rid of my monitor though i dont go through it nearly as much. once i redo my basement i am pretty sure i am going to get him back along with some other monitors

12. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

lol

one albig cage would take about 25 to 30 bags so its not real efficient around my small house and yard to stock up, i didnt think it would be this bad, but oh well lesson learned, i will get a truckload and keep it out back under a tarp next winter for ackies and my whitethroat nest boxes.
    she began digging a deep long burrow today, she has been workign on it for most of the day actually so she may lay soon. Im hoping anyway as im anxious to kill the eggs in trial and error incubation...lol
    take care
    scott

13. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

im sure they will hatch out fine. have you bred and hatched ackies before?

14. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

no

this is my first go at it, i recieved two adult groups from a friend and they started breedign two days later, so its all new to me, im curious about incubation as i have only hatched out some colubrids and beardies, i hear its alot more difficult with monitors, but looks like i shouold get some regular practice now...lol
    take care
    scott

15. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

just keep the eggs incubated at 84-86F in a 1:1 water/vermiculite mix

16. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

thanks

what to do and how to do it, and then actually doing it are two different things, she laid nine eggs today, i have them all set up, its wait and see now.
    thanks
    i will post pics later
    scott

17. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

that is awsome. they usually lay around 10eggs right?

18. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

think so

im not totally sure though, im a learn by doing type of person, so mine laid nine eggs so i guess they lay around nine eggs..........lol
    here are some pics, they show 8 but she sqeezed one out after i was done digging up the nest.
    thanks
    scott
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

looking good

20. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

Aw i love ackies now. Even though they are so small i just cant help how cute they are. There are some reptile shows comming up and i wanna buy one so bad.

21. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

ackies rock

yesssss........... ackies rock on. she laid three more eggs last night for me for a grand total of 12 eggs, which is what she laid last tiem as well, they are all looking perfect and incubating as we speak, i believe incubation is around 3-4 mos? but could be wrong.
    take care
    scott moser
    www.varanusweb.com

22. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

wow that is awsome. yea its around 3-4months

23. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

The ackies in the picture look kinda big actully. They are adults?

24. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

adults yes

yes, adult and extremely bloated from being stuffed full of about a dozen eggs........lol she is only about 14" long so still very small for me as my others are 3ft and bigger. babies are super small, like too small for me to pick up as im afraid to break them.....lol

25. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

3 feet? That seems like a really good size! The pet store i go to only has savannahs and black throats. Im not quite sure where to buy an Ackie but i would really like to. Maybe if you are breeding i can buy one from you? Though, i do live in Florida and i dont know if you ship. You said a 29 gallon would house one right? Thats perfect. :)