Green Anole help please :(

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by scarycrow, May 4, 2012.

1. scarycrow

scarycrow Embryo

Hi, I got my green anole about 6 months ago now, she is green all the time and seems happy and eats mealworms when not watched " I had to set up a web cam to watch her cause I was scared she was not eating". She eats about 50-70 mealworms a month and is pretty fat. She shedded 3 times so far and grew alot since I got her.

The thing is I am new to reptile ownership and am still unsure of alot of things. The pet store owner told me that his plastic cage with a mesh roof would be a perfect cage "it is about 10+ gallons not sure exactly tho"

So I feed her mealworms with calcium and a odd cricket which she stares at like a devil until i kill it then she runs over and eats it.....

Now recently there has not been much sun out and she is I think shedding again. Her eyes are closed and they are not swolen or cut or anything else wrong with them. She lets me hold her and spends time sitting on me for I think warmth.

Here is the big problem it looks like there is dried "dead" skin on her feet tail and head. She has not open her eyes all day but runs around if her tail is touched. She is green with "maybe brown spots" they do not appear brown to me just like dried dead skin. I was wondering if the lack of sun could be a problem.

For sun she is in a tank where half is touched by the sun and the other half isn't. I open the window so the uvb can come though the mesh top and give her the uvb she needs. Also there is some banana baby food in there she never eats but the vet told me to put it and a water dish she never uses either. There has never been a problem in 6 months until the sun started to skip town for a while.

Is something wrong with my girl? Or is she just shedding again and not opening her eyes cause she can't?

Oh she has 3 rocks 9 fake leaves and the spounge bob house squidwards house and hrustycrab shack to make sure she can get out of the sun. For feeding I put them in a shallow bown with the calcium and she eats them readily.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

A plastic cage is not a good idea. She needs UVB light to help with calcium and shedding and a basking light for sun. You can't just put him by a window and expect him to get a sufficient amount of sun. They should be able to open their eyes when they shed and the brown spots may just be part of the coloration actually, mine has that sometimes. A picture of the enclosure and him would be best.

I have a water dish, but that's mainly for the frog that lives with mine--they never really drink from water dishes, only from misting-which you should do a lot to keep the humidity up. What are the humidity/temperature levels? What do you mean a shallow bown with calcium that she eats? You mean like the kind for birds, that's the kind I've seen. You should just use calcium powder. Also, a 10 gallon tank is okay, but they really need added height and does she ever use the "shack" hideout? I've seen them before and they seem pretty small, I'm pretty sure they're more for hermit crabs. They don't need as much hides as plants, vines, and such for climbing. They're arboreal, so need more height. Also, if you mist her, the dead skin should be able to come off, sometimes mine will get some stuck on his feet or tail.

I know some of them will tolerate being held, but mostly it's always said you're not supposed to handle them-it can stress them out and he might only stayon you for the warmth if she's cold normally. It can also risk him possibly getting away, they can be very fast! Though, he does sound very big if he eats that much..it actually sounds like too much to me. And they should be able to hunt themselves with live food. Normally mine are always jumping on food when they see it.

Well, if you post some pics that will be best and hopefully there will be some other members on here to add to what I said and help more.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ELF2240

ELF2240 New Member

I agree with everything Lizardgurl87 stated above. As for the eyes and dead skin - are you offering any sort of multivitamin powder or vitamin A supplement? This is extremely important in a reptiles diet in order for them to shed correctly.

What type of substrate are you using? This could be affecting your little ones eyes (even if the pet store recommended it, they are often wrong unfortunately).

Pictures would be very beneficial in helping with your baby :).

- ELF

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

I dont know much about anoles, but from my experience with leopard geckos her eyes could be stuck shed. I found that from the vets reccomendation, if very very gently take a qtip, put a tiny bit of bacitracin(You can get at local cvs, riteaid, or any pharmacy for around 6 bucks) swab it on her eye, just very little, and very gently. This will eventually loosen the shed and it will come off easily

lizardgurl87 and ELF2240 like this.