Green Anoles: Are they really that hard to keep?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by LeoDeal104, Feb 22, 2005.

1. LeoDeal104

LeoDeal104 New Member

I went to the side of a park near my house (not in the park, on the outside fence) and i saw a few green anoles and tried catching some. I caught two and let them go. I was wondering if i could go back and catch a few and try to keep them. I have the space for them and the time, so i was wondering if anyone has experience with them. Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LeoDeal104

LeoDeal104 New Member

oh, and another question, i live in florida and i have seen brown anoles for sale in pet shops for $7. I can go in my backyard and catch about 50, so it seems like a waste to pay for them when i can catch them. I know that the wild one can have parasites and all that stuff, but its not like im putting them with any captive bred animals. Same question about the green anoles, does it really matter that they are wild caught? I mean i have heard that they are always scared to be held, even if they are captive bred. Just a thought.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LeoDeal104

LeoDeal104 New Member

Well.... today i went back and i caught 5 of them! They where all over the place today! Im pretty sure that I have two males and three females and I think I am going to let a male go and two females. They eat like crazy!!! They have already eaten around 30 crickets! that is why i want to let some of them go. Still any suggestions on their tank setup?? They are in a 20 long right now and it has enough room for them to have their own space, since they are small.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nakedjellybean

nakedjellybean New Member

Here check this out
    This is a caresheet that should help you find everthing you need. BTW, 2 in a 20g long is about the most I would go.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LeoDeal104

LeoDeal104 New Member

Thanks, and i think im going to just let them go. I just dont think its worth the time and money now, i could use it for my leos and pythons.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Videogamelover)

Videogamelover) New Member

One thing, it is always best to BUY anoles, not catch them in the wild. Not only is it cruel, but wild anoles usally have parisites or other disieses. You are better with a store bought lizard. :mrgreen: And about the tank, you should have dripping water, so the anoles hear the dripping and go to drink, soil, and plently of places for the anoles to perch on.
    Good luck! :wink:

12. CLR

CLR Embryo

Good luck

Good luck with your anoles. I have had mine for about two months now. A friend gave them to me because she was moving. I found the hardest part was controlling the humidity until I took out the wood chips and put in soil and live plants. I am also still playing around with temperature. I have read that you shouldn't mix wild ones with ones bread in captivity - but you probably already figured that out.

Got pictures?

13. LeoDeal104

LeoDeal104 New Member

i let them go...

14. DirtySoap

DirtySoap New Member

i caught sum when i was in florida. got about 12 in 5 minutes lol. they kinda stupid but they would bob their heads if they got away. i kept 3 and have em in a 10 gallon tank... a 20gal long is what u should keep 2 leos in..... i keep my 2 leos in a normal 20 gal and they r fine. i dno whats goin thru the jellybean's head but for such small lizards, thats alot of space.

15. NBurleson81

NBurleson81 Embryo

I hate to inform you of this, but virtually all Green Anoles/Brown Anoles sold in pet shops are wild caught. It would be quite rare to find a place that sold only captive bred ones. Let the stores say what they want, but even if they were captive bred, it doesn't mean they don't have parasites and such. That "guarantee" about the anoles not having parasites or diseases just because they are captive bred is nothing more than a sales angle. Unless they can show and give you paperwork that the animal has been to a vet and has been proven to be free of parasites and other problems, you don't know for sure that the animal is problem free, even if the animal looks to be in apparent good health. Another thing about ones that are sold in pet shops that are supposedly captive bred is you don't know what they mean by "captive bred". Chances are, if they claim the anoles were captive bred, the anoles were probably raised in another state or even overseas in some sort of program or "anole farm". Believe me, I know about the buisiness.