green iguana turnd brown

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by adamgillis, Jul 29, 2009.

1. adamgillis

adamgillis Embryo

hello i love reptiles i wish i had enough room and money to get every kind out there but anyways i just resently got a green iguana who is a bit older around 4 or 5 hes 4 feet long hes a great guy actually hes never whipped me or anything agreesive but hes a brown colour that is slowly turning back to green but what would cause this to happen i have many difrent species of reptiles and have never had this happen to anyothers hes the 2nd iguana iv ever had he first one past away a few days after i got him from a mouth rot disease the vet tried treating it but he never came back to normal so now i have this 4 ft gentle giant that is wonderful but id rather him be back to green any help would be good he gets a steady diet of fresh fruits and veg like buttewr nut squash some lettuce strawberrys blue berries cantalope and tons of other stuff any info would help

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Is the iguana grey all over?

Skin colour changes could be many things. It could be due to a change in temperature, lack of heat, pre-shed signs, stress, and many other things.
    Could you provide us of a rundown of your setup?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Reptigal94

Reptigal94 Embryo

First of all, lettuce has no nutrition at all. I tend to avoid it for any veggie eaters unless they're dehydrated. Try feeding him some collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, or any kind of green really is good.

Second, if it's a male, they usually change to a dark brown to orange color around this time of the year for breeding season. If he's more of a greyish color, I'd start being worried. Usually if they're grey they're showing some signs of sickness, or something with your husbandry is wrong(temps, uvb, substrate, ect.).