Green Tree Frog for Beginner

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Pyross_Smurf, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Pyross_Smurf

Pyross_Smurf New Member

I have 3 firebellies in a 10 gallon tank and I am thinking of getting another 10 gallon tank for Green tree frog. How many should i put in it?

I am keeping my firebellies in 75-80 degree range with 2 light bulbs attach to the hood. Should I maintain green tree frogs in the same temperature?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. joe5555

joe5555 Member

Green Treefrogs are great beginners.You could probly house two max in a ten gallon.Fire bellys dont need to be in the 75-80 temperature range. I thought atleast. I keep mine a room temperature. And they have lived for almost 2 years.TEmps should range from 72-80. but the 75-80 is fine.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Derek

Derek Member

I would say only one maybe 2 green tree frogs in it. Tree frogs are found in trees so try to get the tallest tank you can.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. joe5555

joe5555 Member

Whoa I could not of guessed. Treefrogs actually live in trees. Man this is a shocker for me. I just cant beleive it. jk man. I had too. Yah the taller the tank the better. If its a long tank than flip it on its side.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

hey pyross smurf - like the others have said, 1 or 2 american green tree frogs could live happily in a 10 gallon.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Pyross_Smurf

Pyross_Smurf New Member

Thanks. Is there any frog or toad species that lives longer than 5 years. I would love to have pets that has a long lifespan.

12. Hummingbird

white's tree frogs live a good 10 to 15 years and make great pets. friendly, hardy, pretty easy to care for. they need a large tank, though (at *least* a 20 gallon high for one male OR a 29 gallon high for one female). great litle guys, though, with great personalities.

african clawed frogs are great too and they can live a long time! usually they live about 10 to 15 years, but a few have been known to reach the age of 20! you could keep one in your 10 gallon, too. you could also get 2 or 3 dwarf african frogs. they're care is almost identical to that of african clawed frogs (except that they are smaller, thus more of them can be housed in a smaller tank). i'm not sure how long the dwarf species lives, though.

fire belly toads can live 10 or more years as well and make great pets. these are another species that 1 or 2 individuals could be kept in your 10 gallon. i dont currenly have a care sheet for them, but i found a nice one here: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/frogsandtoa...ntalfbtoads.htm

there's lots of other frog species, but many don't live long. hopefully others will be able to give you some other frog/toad species that are rather long-lived.

13. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

frogs are categorized 'tree' frogs when they have widened disks at the end of there fingers and toes. this creates suction and allows the frogs to climb well. they may live in low bushes or on the ground. so not all tree frogs live in trees

14. Hummingbird

i think joe was kidding - being sarcastic. ;-)

15. Pyross_Smurf

Pyross_Smurf New Member

Yeah I thnk it's about time people chill and enjoy the sarcasm. And of course I am saying it sarcastically. :)

16. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

sry, was just trying to sharing what i know. im new to the forums and also owning amphibians.

17. Hummingbird

no need to apologize, mescaline - we're just glad to hear that you are interested in amphibians! you'll get used to some of the teasing and sarcasm around here in no time! :)

18. Pyross_Smurf

Pyross_Smurf New Member

Oh..yes! Hehe I guess we're all happy that you are interested in amphibians :p