green tree python help!

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by reptileman07, Sep 29, 2005.

1. reptileman07

reptileman07 New Member

hi i have a few green tree python questions

1what does the daytime temperature have to be?
    2what does the nightime temperature have tobe?
    3what doe the daytime humidity have to be?
    4what does the nightime humidity have to?

thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

i did a google search and came up with this:

12 hours at 83-85 during the day with a night time drop of 80.
    the humidity around 75% or better.

that care sheet also states you should have atleast 5-10 years experience in keeping snakes before trying GTP's

~Will.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reptileman07

reptileman07 New Member

i know what you are talking about i went to that site. the person said that they have 5-10 years experience. it didnt say u have to have that. but thanks for the help. i need a more in depth, detailed answer.anyone who owns green tree pythons please answer my question or give me help
    thanks to everone

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tjhallock

tjhallock Member

You don't necessarily need to have a certain amount of years when owning gtps. Their need for ''moderate'' to ''high'' humidity with good ventialiation, and dispositions leave most people to think of these snakes as an ''advanced hobbyist'' snake, but with the right conditions and setup you should be fine. I keep a horizontal gradient which should be provided at 82-88 degrees during the day; you could also keep this gradient throughout the daytime and nighttime as I do, but others do a drop of about 2-3 degrees at night. As far as daytime humidity goes, it should run between 65-85%, but keep it at a higher percent than normal as the animal goes into shed. Do not overly excess the the tank with too much humidity after the animal has eaten because respiratory infection and other illnesses can occur. I usually let the nighttime be a dryout period for the cage unless the animal is in shed. Hope this info helps. Let us know on an update what you plan to do as me and others can help you. :p

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

i'm pretty sure it implies that the author of the care sheet recomends any keepers thinking about keeping GTP's have atleast 5 years experience with snakes.

good luck with your gtp, and i hope you find the answers your looking for.

~Will.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. adam2373

adam2373 Member

12. reptileman07

reptileman07 New Member

thanks everybody

13. reptileman07

reptileman07 New Member

out of all of those snakes u have which ones the nicest

14. adam2373

adam2373 Member

Of the Chondros? my Jayapura.

15. tjhallock

tjhallock Member

Biak's are said to have the worst disposition. My 2 gtps are both Biaks, and are a HANDFUL to get off the perch. I enjoy handling them though. :)

16. reptileman07

reptileman07 New Member

oo ok. hey are they much cheaper at reptile shows? i know that mostly all of the animals at reptile shows and things there are much cheaper than what u wuld pay at a pet store but what about gtps

17. reptileman07

reptileman07 New Member

whats a horiaontal gradient?

18. reptileman07

reptileman07 New Member

horizontal

19. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

this is where the 5-10 years of snake keeping would come into play . . .

a horizontal heat gradient basically means having a varying temperature across a horozontal axis in your cage. for easy math, lets say you need a hot side of 95* and a cool side of 80*. the cool side should be at 80, then as it progresses towards the hot side it gets hotter (80 - 83 - 86 - 89 - etc.). this allows your snake to thermo-regulate its body temperature as if it was at home in the wild.

and yes, animals are usually cheaper at shows, especially if you know how to play "lets make a deal".

~Will.

20. reptileman07

reptileman07 New Member

oo ok i appreciate your help.. but not to be rude or anything but all i did was ask what a horizontal gradient was and i do not see how you need 5-10 years of experience with snakes to ask a question

21. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

you dont need it, its just a recomendation.

~Will.

22. kavinos

kavinos Member

all iLLwiLL is stating is really that GTP aren't an advisable first python. They take a lot of work and expertise. I take it your not planning on handling it at all? There juse not a beginner snake in the slightest. Its like telling someone with the first computer to go and write a java script. :lol:

23. reptileman07

reptileman07 New Member

i know that this isnt a first time snake and i am not a first time snake owner i have 3-4 years of reptile experience and im not an absent minded reptile keeper. i have had snakes lizards and other reptiles and i read about any animal for quite a while before i get it.. i come to this site to help other people and ask questions myself that i cant find on other sites.

24. ChamBreeder2005

ChamBreeder2005 New Member

THnaks for the info thats what i needed as well.

25. JoshMueller

JoshMueller New Member

He was just saying that so you know that the snakes take alot of care and that it takes a good snake owner with alot of experience to manage one.