Green Tree Pythons with carpet pythons

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by kavinos, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kavinos

kavinos Member

I have read that its possible to keep these two species together.

I wondered what peoples views were, I am aware that it is not favourite. But the humidity levels required by green trees (chondros) is suited to carpet pythons.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Jujube

Jujube New Member

Definitely a bad idea to keep different species in the same cage, especially since one could easily spread Inclusion Body Disease (IBD) to the other and the disease is basically always fatal. With similar husbandry requirements (as you say), you could house them separately but put them on a single thermostat (if your goal is to minimize equipment or cost).

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

I think there should be a sticky post about keeping different species together since the question comes up multiple times daily and the answer is always the same.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kavinos

kavinos Member

The IBD argument is one that can be accepted, but this could be said for keeping 2 of the same species of python together.. i.e. a breeding pair of carpets, or a breeding pair of chondros. The problem comes when you introduce an already infected snake with a healthy one. Surely, a snake captive bred, then kept in isolation for 30 days, whereby you know the sources of the 2 snakes, drastically reduces these risks?

Wreckwriter.. I see your point, but things aren't always THAT clear cut, keeping 2 drastically different species together, then yes I would tend to agree.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

I think, as a general rule, keeping different species of herps together doesn't work well. There may be exceptions (although I can't think of any right now) but in general its discouraged.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kavinos

kavinos Member

Granted. I would slap anyone that kept herps together that clearly share no proerties at all. I once read a post about someone that kept a tortoise with a bearded dragon ^^ One of them died.

12. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

The humidity levels and temps are different for two species....
    Carpets roughly 85-89° hot side and 50-60% humidity. Of course there will be some variation depending on which carpet python you have.
    GTPs like it much cooler 82-85° hot side and much higher humidity 65-85% levels.
    You will run a very high risk of having a carpet with constant respiratory issues if it is kept for extended periods at that high of a humidity level.

13. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I think the general opinion around here is not to keep two snakes together, regardless of species.

14. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much. They are solitary creatures and regardless of what it may appear they are doing it's usually competing for the best spot in the enclosure which only causes stress.

15. kavinos

kavinos Member

Dont worry, I dont have plans to do it, it was a question of interest, mainly from certain pet shops I see with massively mixed species :D

16. Janice

Our local pet store has about 5 small beardies, in with a uromastyx that is 5 times their size....They have fat-tailed gecko in with leos, basilisks in with iguanas. It's ridiculous.

17. tjhallock

tjhallock Member

The general answer that is coming from ALL of us is that, NO they should not be kept together. They can, however, be breeded but i wouldn't try it, for a first.

18. kavinos

kavinos Member

What the hell what you come out with my mix breeding those 2 species, its either going to be very pretty, or totally hidious.

19. tjhallock

tjhallock Member

20. kavinos

kavinos Member

Thats an incredibly pretty snake! What are its husbandry requirements? Temprement etc?

21. Janice

Is that a mixed breed???? Very cool looking snake!

22. tjhallock

tjhallock Member

Yea, JungleCPxGTP

23. boamansam

boamansam Embryo

tjhallock,
    can they really reproduce i would love for you 2 go into detail or may be just start another thread...

Sam

24. tjhallock

tjhallock Member

Honestly i have NO idea, how to do it between these two, considering that the temperatures of both species varies between weeks of incubation. I would browse google or any other browser with the title "breeding jcp's and gtp's" or something like that.

25. ShnuckTuck

ShnuckTuck New Member

Wow where can I get one of them, that is one of the coolest snakes I've seen. What are they called, Green carpets or something, and is it like a male GTP and a female CP or the other way like mules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.