Green Tree Pythons

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Neil, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Neil

Neil New Member

Anyone ever come across or kept Green Tree Pythons? Are they really as terrible as they're made out to be? It's hard to believe that something so gorgeous could be so nasty.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I thought too when I saw all those gorgeous green & yellow babies at all the shows. But from everybody I know who's had one, they grow up to be REAL mean :)

Or, at least, most of the time they do.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ballpython5000

ballpython5000 Embryo

i really adore those snakes and am considering getting one in the near future. they are beatiful creatures, but can be mean. just hold it on a regular basis and it should be a very nice pet. i know from some personal experience how painstaking the taming process can be. but it is well worth it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. XzyluM

XzyluM New Member

While GTPs and ETBs can be quite beautiful species, I don't recommend them to the novice or inexperienced herper. They require a tremendous amount of work and time. They do not need to be handled often for various reasons. I have a good care sheet that is well written that I did. I will post it sometime within the week.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Well said Xzylum!
    On a positive note most of the ETB's and GTP's are priced out of a novices price range so they tend to go to the more experienced keepers and to those who have done research and know what is needed to properly care for them.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Neil

Neil New Member

They really are purdy. I'm not planning on getting any snakes that are difficult to keep. My corns are keeping me interested enough at the moment and I might get a couple of rats or garters. Depending on my circumstances, I may or may not get a GTP in several years.

12. sapphire_moon

sapphire_moon Embryo

GTP ETB's are usually mean. They ar EXTREME high humidity, and I've heard they have regurge problems to. And are VERY high strung...

13. adam2373

adam2373 Member

If you do your research and have the time they are not that difficult to raise. I have both. Highstrung, a little till they tame down. Any babies should be handled as little as possible. Regurge happens when you over feed. Humidity is easily overcome useing the proper housing. And yes they are for experienced keepers only. IMHO experience=10-20+ years. If you are interested in beginning with aboreals try starting with an Amazon Tree Boa.

14. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

In addition to too large a prey item there are a number of other reasons that the snake may regurg.....
    Feeding frequency. An arboreal snake (ATB, ETB, GTP) has a much slower digestion rate than most other common pet trade snakes.
    If your cage temps and humidity levels are not right.
    If the snake has parasites, which is common in cheap wild caught and import snakes
    Stress is also a another major reason, probably the most common reason.... these snakes are display snakes and dont take to handling like a BP or boa would.