Green tree Snakes

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Veda, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Veda

Veda Embryo

Hi my son 's friend had a green snake that just died about 1hour ago. Can someone answer me back if you know something about green snakes? Thank- You

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

There are many reasons that a snake could've died..

How long did you have the snake? What age/length was it? did you get it from a pet store? a breeder? a show?

It could be improper care conditions, a virus or other infection, it could be dehydration, starvation, stress, or any one of a thousand other reasons.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Veda

Veda Embryo

Green Tree Snake

Hi John, Thanks for the reply. I realize that I was pretty vague the first time. My son's friends snake was about one month old, he was purchased from a local pet store, he was about 14" long, and very active, friendly, and docile. He was visiting us last weekend too and was just fine. Last night they came to stay over again, and my son had just gotten a snake that afternoon from the same pet store. His snake is the same kind but much smaller. They were sharing an aquarium for the weekend and were getting along just fine. We bought some crickets for them and then this morning the larger snake kept opening his mouth like he was yawning, or gasping . He did this a few times that I noticed, the time the boys got back from their hockey game he was also arching his neck backwards. We knew this was not normal behavior for him. About 10 min. later he opened his mouth wide and stopped breathing. It was so sad. Could he have choked on a cricket? Could he have eaten too many? We never actually saw him eat any at all? Thanks ,if you can help we would appreciate it

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Do you know exactly which species was?

Rough Green Snake
    Smooth Green Snake

Are you sure it was a green snake? because 14" seems pretty big for only a month old. Smooth greens hatch out at only 4" long, and rough greens are nearer 7" long. Mislabelling species is fairly common in pet stores.

It's possible he could've choked on a cricket, but he might also have swallowed a piece of substrate, and was trying to regurgitate it. What was lining the floor of the tank?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Veda

Veda Embryo

The floor tank has some wood chip type of material that they suggested to us. It was also in all of the snake tanks there. As for his age I can only go by how long the little boy had him, and he said it would have been a month this week.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Veda

Veda Embryo

They are smooth green snakes with slightly yellow green underbellys.

12. Veda

Veda Embryo

My sons friend just called the pet store in question and they said that he should have been feeding his snake small fish. When he bought it they said crickets. When I bought the snake for my son one sales person told me crickets for now but later I wpould have to feed it pinkies. I went home and researched this since I am partial to little white mice. I found out that they are insectavours. That was why I decided to get the snake for my son. Is any of this true as far as their eating habits are concerned?

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Yeah, smooth greens are notoriously difficult feeders in captivity, and many simply will refuse to eat.

As you can see from the photos on this page, their more common natural habitat is moist & humid soil, mosses, etc.

I would say potting soil or top soil (without the lil white bits in it) would probably be the best substrate for them, along with some sphagnum moss. Make sure the ground stays fairly moist & warm, but not cold & damp.

But yeah, it sounds like he possibly might have taken a cricket or a piece of woodchip that didn't agree with him, he tried to regurgitate it, and choked trying to bring it back up.

If he's looking to get another snake, I would probably suggest a corn snake. While they do eat rodents, they are much hardier, not so finicky with regards to eating, and become very mellow with regular handling.

14. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

I'd have to agree with axe. There are a lot of snakes out there that do not make good starter pets. While some snakes do stay small, some colubrids and boids that are arboreal or prefer non rodent prey are not for the amateur keeper. A very keen eye for behavior and strict husbandry are necessary to maintain these species.

I recommend a corn or king snake for children as they don't get too big, are easy to keep and feed readily on rodents. Very stress free captives.

15. Veda

Veda Embryo

[ Hi John, It's me again Veda. I wanted to ask you another question. My son and his friend were digging in the field behind our house today and they found two very unusual eggs . They think that they are snake eggs but I'm not sure .They are small and round the size of a green peas. They are translucent and pink in color. You can see veins through the skin that look like a little snake all curled up inside. Do you have a clue? Thanks Veda.b]Axe[/b],

16. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, it's hard to say without knowing your location, but they could be anole eggs, or house gecko eggs, those ar similar to what you descript. Corn snake eggs are much larger than a pea, but it could be another small snake such as a ringneck.