green tree

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by lunacrab, Mar 3, 2004.

1. lunacrab

lunacrab Embryo

are green tree pythons really that snippy that only an experienced herp should own one?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I would say only an experienced herper should keep a GTP. They aren't that snippy if you know how to raise & handle them, and to be honest, only somebody who's experienced is going to know how to do that, and be able to adjust to each individual animal's temprament.

Inexperienced keepers... if you're willing to put up with the bites while you're learning, then by all means go ahead and get one. You might luck out and get a snake that's naturally pretty mellow, but expect bites regardless anyway.

Their care isn't really that difficult - no more so than most other reptiles. It's the handling that generally makes this snake for advanced keepers only.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lunacrab

lunacrab Embryo

Thanks, I think I'll wait a while anyway. Not too enthusiastic about getting bit.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

The biting is only a small part of GTPs.
    GTPs as well as Amazon Tree boas and Emerald Tree boas are display animals. They all stress easily and do not deal with that stress very well. They are also a lot less forgiving when it comes to errors in husbandry such as humidity that is too low or too high.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lunacrab

lunacrab Embryo

So probably not a good idea to have them with children in the house?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Children in the house is ok, children in the same room as those species I'd say no, probably not a good idea.

12. lunacrab

lunacrab Embryo

So not good to have one in the living room? What would you suggest? Just trying to learn for the future. Don't think I'll get one soon, but probably not done having kids yet either.