GTP humidity help

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by malice, Nov 28, 2007.

1. malice

malice Embryo

Hi

I got a GTP, and im having a very difficult time with the humidity. Right now I have a exo terra tank 12x12x18. I have about 3 inches of water at the bottom of the tank, I also purchased a exo terra waterfall. The humidity is only 30. I spray in the tank like 4 times a day, but that is not keeping a constant humidity level. The other thought I had was to be taking a small submersable aquarium heater and placing it in the bottom of the tank where all the water is. This would definitly create enough humidity, although I really want to get away from water at the bottom of the tank all together.

any help or sudgestions would be great.
    thanks'

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cooter_the_BD

Cooter_the_BD New Member

There is a great Do It Yourself on here about how to make your own Humidifier, with a water bottle and a few other cheep things.
    I don’t have a link so if someone else could put it up, that would be good.

Jake

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

What type of gauge are you using? Try losing the water at the bottom and replace it with something like Cypress, it actually holds moisture/humidity well. Is there ventilation at the bottom and top? Sounds funny but humidity levels will be easier to achieve if there is a bit of bottom to top circulation. I'm also assuming you are using the glass tank and not the screen one?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. malice

malice Embryo

yes, im using the glass tank. so their are little glass doors in the front. I was thinking about taking it out of its tank, and building something out of rubbermaid until i can stabalize the snake properly, im assuming a rubbermaid will keep the humidity up.

thanks

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. sb1127

sb1127 New Member

Clementine is right. Loose the water on the bottom of the tank and replace it with cypress mulch or coco fiber and a large water dish. How about an automatic misting system? You do have to be carefull though. If the cage is soaking wet constantly, then your snake could develop a bacterial infection and mold could grow in the cage. Live plants also help hold humidity, so will covering half of the screen with a towel or piece of plexiglass.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jgood

jgood Embryo

Does the exo-terra still have the original screen top? If so get some plexiglass and cut it so it covers 3/4 of the top and use a small wattage bulb over the other 1/4. I would also remove the water and use a large water bowl, about 1/2 the bottom surface placed under the light. You can use either paper towels or cypress (NOT cedar) for the bedding. This set up worked very well for mine till he out grew it. Also make sure you are using a digital thermometer and hygrometer (sp) and that it is not too hot 85ish max. Let me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps.