GTP in rubbermaid? Help plz

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by malice, Dec 1, 2007.

1. malice

malice Embryo

Hi

I was wondering, Im considering putting my new baby into a rubbermaid from its tank, its a little sic and i want to watch it carefully etc.. I was thinking about using a rubermaid and putting down paper towls as substrate, what i want to know is will the little rubermaid be able to keep up the humidity, as well, how should i go about heating the tank... should I use a heat lamp with a low wattage bulb. or can i take a heat mat and just put it under the rubermaid container? will that provide enough heat for the snake? I dont know which is the better route. Is it ok to have a heat matt on the rubermaid plastic? will it keep the right tempature in the tank from the heat pad under the rubbermaid, or is the better way to just cut a hole in the top, and use a lowe wattage heat lamp... will a bowl and spraying the tank with papertowl be enough to keep the humidity high enough...
    please reply,. as I need to do this asap. any advice would be greatly appreciated...
    the GTP is a Wc baby, has mites and some other health issues im trying to treat. So i think watching it in the rubermaid for the time being would make it easier for me to see any problems, new or old, and treating the animal...

thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I keep my gtp in a rubbermaid. I have since I got him 8 months ago. I have an under tank heater taped to the bottom with aluminum tape. Doesnt melt. I used newspaper. If it has mites, Id go with white plain paper towel so you can see if they are gone. Make sure you have perches. I used a bendy vince and some fake tree stuff. Make sure its hot end is up to about 88 degrees and let it drop only a few degress over night. Make the humidity in the 70% range at least. Higher heat and humidity is good on a sick animal. as far as treating mites. Get a bottle of of nix or generic nix and mix it with a gallon of water. Put that in a pray bottle and spray the entire cage and substate and let it dry. Dont spray the water dish though. Spray the snake and let him sit in a separate container for a few minutes. then rinse it off. Spray it again and then put it back in the cage. Try to avoid the eyes and mouth. They should and will die. Make sure you clean it every couple days to make sure no mites are moving. Id repeat the spray process a week later if you even think there are any mites. I'd say take it to a vet and get a fecal to see what parasites it has. good luck

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

Not sure how big yours is but i keep my babies in rubbermaids and the humidity could not get better. i use 4" wide x 1' long strip of Flex watt under each tank and control it with a Helix.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keep in mind these are housing baby babies. If you have adult/sub adult i have another option that might work.
    This his first couple mins in the enclosure which is why he is on the ground heh
    [​IMG]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I keep mine in a bigger rubbermaid. I'll look up the model. It has 2 nice grooves for a medium (10 gal. ?) zoo med heat mat to fit perfectly into. I have too many holes though So I'll be plugging them. Sick of misting every day to keep humidity. I have 3 bamboo rods running through. Dumerrilis your setup looks very good. For a baby that is perfect. everything is sterile and easy to maintain. I like a simple setup. I'll photograph mine tonight maybe.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. pada1

pada1 Embryo

im looking for gtp breeders in vancouver... can you help?