GTP or something else?

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by newlander85, May 15, 2007.

1. newlander85

newlander85 New Member

what about dumeril's boa?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Collard

Collard Member

I haven't owned one, but I"ve heard really good things about them. They are for the most part docile, and get up to 7-8 feet. Jason (dumerillis_1986) will give you lots of good pointers! They certainly are beautiful snakes! if you want something that you can see a lot, little dumeril's love to burrow. They are ground snakes! I'll let J- give you better information, seeing as he's had quite a few of them! :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

I have bred dummys for a couple of years now. i personally am in love with the Deigns and Colors they have they are just amazing. Not only that but they are as Collard stated Very docile. They are NOTHING like BP's docile tho. they take a lot of work when babies to become "Dog Nice".

A couple things to think about.
    They do as Collard stated burrow but that is mostly because they are cold. they require more heat than most Boa's.

They are also heavy bodied snakes 20-30lbs. and as stated they reach 7-8 feet which is the average. but there are some that can reach 9 but that is not to common and if they do it will most likely be a female as they get larger than males.

They are ground dwelling snakes mostly but all of my babies LOVE to be up in the branches when it comes to feeding time. so branches is a must. when they get older they are very picky eaters.

If you get bit by an adult.. you will cry (LoL)

aside from all that they are one of my favorite Boa's
    Here are a couple pictures of mine.

The female is on my wrist and she is one of a kind. when they are young they all have a lot of pink in them but as they get older they start to get a lot darker but my prized female has kept her pink VERY well. the picture does not do her justice but enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my little sister and her friend who would not get within 100 feet of my baby BP but for some reason she can accept my almost 7 foot dummy heh :)
    [​IMG]

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need any directions to some good care sheets.

:)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. newlander85

newlander85 New Member

whoa those are pretty snakes, yeah how big do they get within the first few years? if i was to buy one as a baby.

the size is kinda throwin me off, cus i dont want something much over 6 feet at the most, and the bloods seem to fit in there nicely. but who knows, after this swap im goin to i could bring back any type of snake, but if i get a dummy then ill prolly pm ya.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. dumerillis_1986

They are pretty quick growers. it all depends on feeding and what not. The female in the first picture on my wrist is 6 years old. the male up my shoulder is 10 years old.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dumerillis_1986

i have only kept one baby out of all the seasons and she is just amazing i hope she turns out like her mom. her name is jewels. she has such a cool mustache and super bright pink sides.. the pic is really bad it was before i got my new camera. and here is her set-up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Set-up 40g breeder.
    [​IMG]

when she was just born she was kept in the 20g long up top. sorry for the VERY BAD pic. it was my phone camera heh
    [​IMG]

12. newlander85

newlander85 New Member

pretty snake

13. newlander85

newlander85 New Member

how much do bloods usually run?

14. Collard

Collard Member

I got mine for 200...but you can get them a LOT cheaper at shows, like 75... Depends on whether or not you want to take a chance with someone that may be selling you WC or bad little ones that haven't eaten. But average Borneo is around 100

15. newlander85

newlander85 New Member

mmm, well i seriously dont know what to get still. I am still looking heavily at gtp's, cus they are so amazingly beautiful. I might just bite the bullet, and buy a gtp baby and just settle for a snake that cant be handled. :p but they are so damn pretty. ok, well i should ask this to those who have gtp's, if i were to buy one, what would i need for the enclosure...if any of you guys got any blueprints for some special enclosures, im pretty handy with my hands so i can build something if need be. how do you control the humidity in the enclosure as well.

16. dumerillis_1986

The X-Large Exo Terra is perfect. Cover half of the top for help with humidity. Large water bowl to help with humidity. They need a couple different hight levels of perches. some Foliage for Security. Don't start handling until about a year of age. spine is very delicate and small. prepare to bleed like crazy if he gets ahold of you even with gloves on and make sure you have a great vet you trust in case this happens and he loses a fang. Loss of fang can cause infections which of course are bad news.

17. dumerillis_1986

I got my baby Biak and he is still to small to hold but i already wanted another one and i was so close to getting a second this weekend but i am waiting a little while and trying to find a good looking Female spider ball to pair with my pastel at the end of the year and hope for some good bumblebee's :)

Let me know when you decide and pick your snake up. i would love to see pictures.

18. newlander85

newlander85 New Member

thanks for all your help dum, i appreciate it. I still have a few questions, the exo terra, is that a complete enclosure? if so i have allready have a 10gal glass tank? i believe, not sure how many it is, but it is well big enough for a baby most likely, it has a heating pad that is stuck onto the bottom of the glass, i used to have a b.p. and a red tailed boa and they used to love that thing...anyways, i was thinking of mounting somekind of pole across it so the snake would be able to chill somewhere. and then putting a water dish in there as well, how can i generate humidity? should i buy some sort of fogger or mister or something? please let me know. what should i use for the bedding?

I just got done thouroughly cleaning it with bleach and some window cleaner, and it looks pretty nice now, it was in the garage for a couple of years and got sorta dusty.

19. dumerillis_1986

cyprusmulch works good for bedding. it keeps the humidity up and looks good. as far as humidity the larger the water bowl the more humidity, misting will bring up humidity, No need for a fogger.. not a lot of areas for the humidity to escape helps with humidity. humidity is very important for these guys and something can be VERY difficult to keep in a good range.

20. newlander85

newlander85 New Member

ok point taken, they really like at a high humidity. i think im going to go tomorrow and get a new water dish cus the old ones i have are all scummy and gross. and maybe a plant of some sort and some cyprusmulch and something to hang from. i have a light i believe, what kind of lightbulb should i use?

21. HerpsinIn

HerpsinIn New Member

I do have to agree with that quote. I have had my woma for about 4-5months now and in love with the species. They are perfect in every way, temperment, housing requirements, feeding response, looks, etc. You can find males for around $350 if you just look hard enough. I paid $500 plus shipping for mine.

I know that is alot of money, but man are they worth it. If I had to pick just one snake species that was the ONLY species I could have, it would be the womas.

They are a medium sized snake, 5-7ft and dont get the girth like the balls and bloods (which I am personally not fond of). If you just look around, you can find males for a good price.

Good luck. I have also considered getting a Bredl's, Bredli's, Centralian (what ever you want to call them) Carpet python. The Dumerils are another I am considering. Blackheaded pythons would be awesome to have, except they are Thousands of dollars.

22. newlander85

newlander85 New Member

anyone know of any place i can go to that has cheaper gtp's than the one on kingsnake, cus it seems like all the gtps on that site are really expensive, i dont want to spend much more than like 250 on a snake, and most ive seen are at least 300. also what breeds tend to have the most blue in them or any blue at all, because i want to see if i can get one with blue in it. if anyone knows any breeders with some kick ass gtp's for cheap let me know.

23. dumerillis_1986

If you find some for under $300 shipped Let me know cause its very hard. if you are looking for a GTP you are going to have to spent at LEAST 300.

24. Collard

Collard Member

Good luck finding one under 400! You're not going to find one under 300.

25. Collard

Collard Member

We got ours for 400 a piece. And that was a deal b/c i knew the breeder!