GTP

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by bodom85, Apr 9, 2007.

1. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I have become very interested in Green Tree Pythons as of late and am going to look into one at the hamburg reptile show at the end of the month. I Havent started to do any research yet, but as soon as this post is made the research begins. I was here so i decided to post my questions first. Im sure some people here have these little guys cause ive seen pics on here for them. Can you guys give me tips on stuff. Right now i know they are arboreal (i suck at the spelling) and they need fairly high humidity. I am wondering If a squar, nicely sized rubbermade/sterilite will work with some wooden rods for it to climb on would work for a young one. Also heating. Since they are arborial, would flexwatt still be useable or is it better for a light? Any other info would be great. thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. begunwithaletter

begunwithaletter Well-Known Member

I know that a lot of breeders use the 'tall' rubbermaid/sterilites for juvie housing, and there are 'radiant heat' panels available on the market that are great for these guys. The panels are pricey, but they're designed to heat from above, so they work better than tape would...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Do you happen to know anyone who breeds normal GTPs? Ive been checking around and all i can find are designers that are $400 + Id be happy with just a normal juvy. I like the brown/rust colored ones.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. begunwithaletter

begunwithaletter Well-Known Member

you could always try local shows... the only thing is that GTP's aren't very common because of their stringent care requirements, so there aren't a lot of breeders out there yet...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

In my opinion, I feel like GTPs are becoming very fashionable snakes. Popularity seems to have spiked in recent years. Google GTP and you'll come up with many breeders. However, i believe there are only a handful of really quality breeders out there. But for quality, as always, you should be prepared to pay.

For GTPs, i've seen everything from $250 and up into the thousands.

The big issue is getting a healthy CBB animal from a trusted source. Many folks out there selling CB or WC as CBBs....be sharp else you'll end up being screwed.

Honestly, for a bottom of the range, healthy snake...expect to pay at least $400 (give or take). You can find animals for less in the classifieds, but............

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Yeah. I cant believe people would sale a wc as a cb. But people will do anything to make a buck. There is a show here on the 28th ill be going to so ill look into it there. I am also very interested in Emerald tree boas and amazon tree boas. we will have to see. They all seem to have about the same requirements. Ill continue to do more research and go from there.

12. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Ammies would probably be a better choice....they're usually cheaper than ETBs or GTPs, and a little more hardy in terms of husbandry

13. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Yeah I did read that. They come in a wide range of flavors too. i hear they top off at about 6' as well. We will see at the show (unless i find something likeable online). It will be hard to say what I will go with. I fancey all 3 so Ill continue to do research and go with what I feel confident i can do. I appriciate the help tough.

14. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

Ok , I just acquired my first gree tree python. He is a young biak and i pulled in a few favours to get him at trade price at 250 pounds this is not dollars. This is the trade price paid for a high quality animal and when converted in dollars i think it works out at around 495 ish dollars. His price is kinda high because he was chosen as future breeding stock. For a more commom sorong type you should be looking to pay around 400 dollars(for healthy specimen) and if less than that great but be bery cautious of the snakes health and any defects it may have.

keep us updated on what you go for and with pics because no matter what you pick they are all great snakes :)

15. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Yeah. I saved up some money and so far i have 300 to put towards it, the show isnt till the 28th so i still have 1 more pay til then. I will most likely go with the Biak or Sorong. I hear Sorongs have a much nicer temprament, but that will also vary from snake to snake. Diamond Reptiles has them and I have heard good things about them so I may pick one up from them and there is someone else i ran across that offeres life time help with the snake so that may also be an option. I forget the name of that breeder though.

16. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Biaks by nature (gross generalization) tend to be nasty little buggers....try go for Arus.

17. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Arus are nice, but from what I have read they are a designer GTP that are very expensive. If there is one in my price rang then ill be down with that but if not ill go with a nice captive bred what ever. I like the baiks in that they are the larger of the GTPs with females topping off aroudn 6'. I have heard of people having ones that tolerate handling more than others and I have heard of ones that you cant even loook at funny without a strike. Doesnt matter to me either way. If i get a nasty one i will just have to be more careful. They are beautiful snakes.

18. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I got a sorong local chondro today. It will be shipped monday (weather pending) and ill get it tuesday. Im excited

19. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Excellent...be sure to show us some pics!

What color is the little gem?

20. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I will be sure too. :D
    its a red one. I love the red ones. I cant wait to get the little thing. I'll be getting it sooner than expected so i have the weekend to get his cage up and running then tuesday ill get it. unless bad weather monday. I hope i get my thermostate monday if not ill have to adjust some things with the 2 i have.

21. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Be sure you set the cage up in advance and sort out temp/humidity. Amazing how difficult it can be sometimes :D

What cage are you using?

22. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I know. I plan on setting it up tomarrow and giving it a few days to set stuff up right. Im going to use a rubbermade type cage set up. I was at kmart the other day looking and they has some nice ones. Ive been debaiting this over the week doing the research and checking into stuff. I have the thermostate on the way from reptilesupply.com. Havent had any problems from them yet. If the snake gets here before the therm i can barrow one from the leos and just set some pair plexi in there to reduce heat. this is going to be a fun experiance i hope. Its a bit scary due to thier price, almost 400 after shipping. I hope it does good because i may take on the challange of breeding them if it works out over a few years

23. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

glad for you mate they really are great snakes, and AN EXCELLENT CHOICE.

As for biaks being nasty i know it wasnt a generalization but my little guy is fine as long as you dont sneak up on him lol , keep us informed on the little guys progress :)

24. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Definity will. I got the cage set up. Im running heat and humidity tests tonight and tomarrow to get them dialed in then tuesday we should be good to go. Ill get some pics up then when i get him

25. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I have a quick question regarding humidity. What should that be? im getting 60-90% and 75%-85% and 75% +. Also i am reading that there should be a drying period at night.