Hagen exoterra uvb bulbs.

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by dakotah, Jul 30, 2004.

1. dakotah

dakotah Embryo

I am the owner of two 6 month old Chameleons, and the light I am using is a Hagen ExoTerra 160 Watt uvb combo. My problem is I have returned this bulb twice now and I am still experiencing the same problem. It goes on and off almost like it gets to hot and shuts down for 2 minutes and then comes on again. The store I purchased this from says they know of no problems with this light. Has anyone else had this happen with this bulb.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

it could possibly be that the fixture you have the light in isnt meant for it. i would get a 200watt lamp for the 160watt bulb this way you are guarenteed it can support the bulb.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dakotah

dakotah Embryo

Yes, my lamp is good for up to 250Watt. But it continues to go on and off.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

hmmm i have no problem with my exo terra bulbs but i use 60watts maybe it is the socket that you have your lamp plugged into? have you tried using a different brand bulb?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. 17year

17year Embryo

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dakotah

dakotah Embryo

i guess that is what Im going to have to do. I have even tried plugging into a different plug on a different breaker. Same problem. My house is 220 so I shouldnt have a problem with this. Prior to the chameleons being plugged in there I had a salt water aquarium with about a million things running and never had any problems. Maybe I will just try another brand of light
    Thank you

12. blizzardlizard

blizzardlizard New Member

i hope you dont have your chams in the same cage, cuz if you do, one or both of them will end up dying anyway so you wont have to worry about your light anymore. DO NOT put them in the same enclosure!

13. blink

blink New Member

maybe something is wrong with the fixture itself...do you have a spare?? try using another fixture with the same bulb and see what happens

14. dakotah

dakotah Embryo

They are in the same cage but it is divided in two. They cant see each other. The cage is very big and they have been quite happy in it. Also I have changed the fixture and it didnt make any difference. I think I will put a surge protector on it. Maybe that is the problem.