Handling after feeding

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by havoc_murtha, Sep 14, 2004.

1. havoc_murtha

havoc_murtha New Member

Is there a rule of thumb on how long I should let my little boy sit before I pick him up after he eats?
    (Cali King)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Markey

Markey New Member

I would wait 24-48 hours before handling him after he eats. Some say you should wait until after the first poop...I just wait the 48 hours.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

I would also add that it depends on how often you were handling your snake in between feedings. I just purchased a new one and have had him for 3 weeks. I handle him atleast once a day for 10- 15 mins. The first week he wouldn't eat, second i finally got him to come around, third he ate just fine. I didn't handle him at all, except to place him back in the viv. but he regurgitated 2 days later. I really don't know why he did either, he as not feed to big of meal, had plenty of warmth with cool areas, and drank plenty of water. I am taking a stool sample to the vet on monday. Maybe that will explain something. To answer your question, Markey is correct, wait 48 hours.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. susyq

susyq Member

:) you should be waiting a minimum of 24 hrs, upto 48hrs. i usually leave mine 3 days :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. joey

joey New Member

My girls seem to hide and then come out in about 2 days so that tells me that I can pick them up.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. havoc_murtha

havoc_murtha New Member

Thanks guys, I had read answers from 1-3 days, this helps. The pinky he ate was kinda big for him, it took him a long time to get it down, I hope he doesn't regurgitate it.

12. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I agree with the 2-3 days rule. Short periods of handling after eating are ok (like taking them from their feeding bucket/cage to their enclosure) but you definitely want to put off long handling sessions for at least 2 days.
    When you are picking out feeders, choose ones that are only as big as the widest part of the snake, especially when they are young/hatchlings. Some people recommend 1.5 times as big, but that's more complicated than I think is necessary. If you think the prey may be too small, offer a second, if they take it easily then maybe it's time to move up to the next size prey item.
    ucgat- one reason he probably didn't eat was stress. My rule of thumb with new acquisitions is to hold off on handling for at least 3-4 weeks unless it's absolutely necessary. This gives them time to get used to their new surroundings. If the prey item you offered wasn't too small, then it could have been stress that caused him to regurg. Sometimes when they're hungry they'll eat but they just can't keep it down if they are too stressed. Hopefully it's that simple. Glad you're taking him to the vet. Always a good idea when you're not sure. I'm a nervous mom, so I'm ready to run them to the vet over the least little thing. It takes a lot for me to wait a little while to see if things clear up. I have a tremendous fear of things just getting worse and snowballing out of control. Anyways, good luck and let us know what the results are.

13. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

Ya, I figured it was stress. I didn't bother him at all the first week I had him. I had to rip the pinky open to get some smell to him to eat it. He had already pooped, then regurg. the next morning. I'm hoping just stress and not internal parasites. Also, it's kinda a long shot but in my search for answers I am thinking about everything. He ate the pinky and the regurg. now he is looking like he is going to shed. I have never heard of it before, but could he regurg because he is preparing to shed?

14. biochic

Yes, if he is beginning to shed and his eyes have already clouded over and shed,
    sometimes they will refuse to eat and if they do, they can potentially regurgitate.
    It's more common that they will refuse to eat, but it does happen that they do and regurg later. If that's the case, once he's doen shedding, offer him another feeder. Our rat snakes have eaten even when their eyes were clouded (apparently not even blindness will stop them from eating until they pop - lol) with no ill effects. So it could be a combo of stress and shedding that caused him to regurg.

15. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

Cool. I'll keep my eye on him and see how things go. Thanks

16. scarecrowking

scarecrowking Embryo

My baby snow ate last friday (2 pinkies), then shed sunday night. Because of her color, I couldn't tell about the shed until my wife called me sunday night to tell me. She ate 2 more today. But the first time they shed after I got them, neither of the two little ones would eat even 1 pinkie. So the slightly older female got 2 fuzzies and 2 pinkies that day! She's a hog for the things, no matter what.

Brian

17. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

I'm starting to worry about my little baby. He is in shed stage and looks to be approx. 2-3 days away. I'm worried about him because he has only ate one pinky in the last 4 weeks.(he was too stressed to eat for the first 2weeks) He ate a second one but regurgitated it 3 days later, because I couldn't see that he was in shed stage. He is starting to look a little on the thin side around the end of his tail. Around his nose there is skin pulled up, but that is all. Should I soak him to aid in the shedding? The humidity is around 30-35% with the temp on the warm side being 85 and the cool side being 75. I know they can go a while without food, but he is looking like it. I don't want to offer food and have him regurgitate it again. I'm just a worried mom and your thoughts would be appreciated.

18. jmadams

jmadams New Member

I Use a snake hook to move them from there feeding bucket to there cage, about 15-20 minuets after feeding, then let them be for 2-3 days before handlng again. And thats usually after the first poop. I also always use a snake hook to move them from there enclosure, even for regular handlign sessions. I think its always good to get them used to a hook incase you ever have to use one(i.e; capturing a escape from under something like the fridge, couch, ect...) Most of my snakes seem to enjoy the hook ,and once its in the cage, they seem to come rigth to it.

19. joey

joey New Member

To jmadams...do u ever just pick them up with your hands? A hook just sounds like somthing I would use on a snake i did not want to be friends with. Just wondering!!!

20. biochic

All of our snakes are 'hook trained'. That way, they are used to the snake hook in case we need to use it for any reason. It's really a good idea for when they may be cranky and not in the mood for handling.

ucagt-
    I wouldn't worry. Our hatchling Children's python went two months without eating b/c it took us that long to figure out what he WOULD eat. Wait until after he's done shedding to try again. Pump up the humidity to about 60% maybe even a little higher for the next few days. You may also want to try putting him in a ventilated bucket with wet paper towels and a rough (not sharp) rock or piece of wood for him to rub on. Leave him in there for a couple of hours, and if he's really ready to shed then it should all come off within an hour or two.

21. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

okay he still hasn't shed and today will mark 2 weeks and some days since he looked like he was going to. His eyes are clear and the flakes around his head are still there. I think i will offer him something to eat tonight. It has been 2 weeks since he regurgitated. He is looking thin. He's only 2 1/2 months old. Just a little guy. He is still just as active as he was when i brought him home though, so that is good. I have seen him drink 3 times since he regurged so he's not dehydrated. HIs humidity is up to 60-65% basking temp I took up to 90. i put him in a plastic container, with holes of course, with a warm wet/damp paper towel and a good rock. Left him there for a couple of hours he didn't really do much, but push to get out. ANy other suggestions?

22. ~}Bastet{~

~}Bastet{~ New Member

When i first got my snake, she ate fine the first day that i got her. Gobled it right up like a little pig. Never had any problems with feeding.

My first ever snake i had was a banded water snake and she was the biggest pig ive ever seen. She ate about 10 fish every 4 of days.

But i waited 48 hours to get them out.

23. biochic

One problem is the temp. 90 is way too high IMHO. I wouldn't go any higher than 85. It could be that the flakes are remnants from the shed. Have you seen any other pieces of skin in the cage? Sometimes, they can shed in very fine pieces. This of course is not ideal, you want one nice long complete shed every time, but it does happen when temp and humidity isn't right.
    Is his skin shiny or dull? When they are ready to shed their color tends to dull or get darker. If it's not, then he probably isn't going to shed. Have you fed him recently? Or is he refusing? If you haven't tried recently I would try again. Try a size smaller than would normally be recommended. Since he's 2.5 months old, I'd get a small pinky (he's a corn right?) and try it out on him. The smaller size may help prevent regurge and sometimes young snakes are just picky about size.

24. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

I kicked the temp to 90 cause the prez of my herp club said too. I only have a 75 watt bulb. I haven't seen any other pieces, but he could have shed very very fine, but it all would have had to come off over night cause I check him everyday. I have him on aspen and have been sifting through it for the last couple days looking for pieces. He shimmers when the light is on him right and it looks like the rainbow. His red saddles look like they have a "film" over them.Which makes me think he hasn't shed. I tried to feed him on monday. He wasn't interested at all. i am going to try tonight. I have all day old pinkies, but I was thinking about cutting it in half and see if he takes it.

25. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

He ate, he ate, he ate. What a relief. I'm so happy now. I just hope he keeps it down. That's just like a kid, to make mom worry all the time, huh? Thermometer reads 86, uth is under one hide, humidity is dropping back to a normal oregon humidity of 35-40%. Leave him alone for the next 4-5 days and try feeding again next week. He has become my project. Thanks for the support.