Handling

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by gecko94, Nov 17, 2007.

1. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

I've never had a Tokay but i saw some pics and love them. can they be handled? how big do they get? What are tank requirements? Please give care sheet links. thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KiruSama

KiruSama Embryo

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

They are not best known for their temprements, that much is for sure. If you did want a tokay, you'd need to be prepared for it being a show animal only, then just think of it this way: handling is an added bonus :)

If you're lucky enough to find any CB babies, this would be your best bet.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. sb1127

sb1127 New Member

I have heard of tokays tollerating some handling, but I would wear heavy gloves at first. They can do sreious damage and tend to clamp down and not let go.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Raziel

Raziel Member

I would honestly never handle my tokay. Most are WC and vicious. Ive seen mine leap and do back flips (I occasionaly attempt to feed it pinkies---never worked so far). they bark yell and theyre terribly fast. Im more afraid of it escaping than it biting me...well thats what I'd like to think anyways. All in all theyre speed and viciousness makes me keep my hand far away from tokays. As far as handling goes, Tokays commonly are the--- (well i wont say it) of all geckos. If you buy one for show though they are awesome. Especially when they hunt down their meals and strick those pour crickets like a torpedo lol.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. camo_pants

camo_pants New Member

gloves will scare them, if you truly want to bond with your tokay do it bare handed, get chewed up and then he will get used to you. If you break trust with them they will not let you near them. I don't handle my guy anymore but he likes to eat out of my hand. He freaks if I have gloves on but if i am bare handed in the tank he is fine

12. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

too scared for bare hands!

13. kazmar

kazmar New Member

We've had our little girl for a couple of weeks now. She was pretty loud and fiesty when we were using gloves, but once we were comfortable to take them off, she calmed right down. If you get them when they're young, their bites won't hurt too much. And as for escaping, she'll run all over the room if we let her :) ! But she'll just lay on us when we're watching movies- she doesn't seem to mind too much.

14. kazmar

kazmar New Member

We've had our little girl for a couple of weeks now. She was pretty loud and fiesty when we were using gloves, but once we were comfortable enough to take them off, she calmed right down. If you get them when they're young, their bites won't hurt too much. And as for escaping, she'll run all over the room if we let her :) ! But she'll just lay on us when we're watching movies- she doesn't seem to mind too much.