Handling?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Saborfk, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Saborfk

Saborfk New Member

I got my juvie crestie 3 days ago and was wondering when should I start to handle him?
    He was chillin on the side of the tank a couple minutes ago and he licked a bit of food of my finger.But then he scurried away =(

I know they should have a bit of time to settle down and all that. Just wonder when i should start.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Geckonator

Geckonator Embryo

I started handling my little guy a week after I got him, I wanted him to associate me/being handled with getting fed. I let him run over my hands for a couple of minutes and then offered him him some CGD. I don't know if you've figured it out yet but these little guys like to jump. :) If you see him preparing for a leap, don't stop him...jumping is natural for them, just be sure to give him an easy target, my Crestie loves to jump from one hand to the other. And don't worry about him running away, keep in mind we're a couple thousand times their size, it may take a while for him to get used to you. Good luck!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

He pretty much hit it on the nail
    Just make sure if they jump and you get scared, dont grab him, especially by the tail, obviously if he dosent land in your hand get him back up, xD but just be gentle, and i like to make slow movements as much as i can when handling any of my reptiles
    As they do get spooked usually pretty easy

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Fyi with the jumping, make sure he doesn't take a flying leap into nowhere... (mine like to do this often, lol) so make sure you're handling him over a table or close to the ground so when he misses what he jumped for or just took a leap of faith he doesn't fall too far and hurt himself (broken legs, internal bleeding, etc... but that's more with a 10 foot drop or so, although I'm sure a 5 foot drop onto hardwood floor would hurt pretty bad too lol)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Saborfk

Saborfk New Member

Yea.. I still haven't held him yet, but He is getting intrested in me... I was changing out his gcd and he went to the top corner closest to me and i gave him some gcd from my finger. He will poke his little head out or climb up top when i open his cage now =).

The first day I had him he took a leap of faith, i guess aiming for my Tv and fell about 4 feet, that scared me lol