Have you ever fed your leopard gecko a pinkie?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Tim3skimo, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

(Adult Leos) I've seen people do it, but I wonder if it's even allowed as a snack...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Most prefer to err on the side of caution and choose not to feed vertebrate prey. There is a greater risk of impaction and pinkies are also quite high in fat.

I might recommend a variety of insect feeders as alternatives to add additional variety to the diet. But I know it may be more difficult for you finding some in Africa (I think that's where you said you were from).

Cammy likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

My thoughts exactly.

Well we have mealworms, super worms, silkworms, crickets and I think dubia roaches here :)
    Everything is super expensive, except mealworms and crickets. At the moment I'm only feeding her mealworms and crickets, she seems to like mealworms more thought but I try to give her crickets too.

I saw something, in the US there is something called Phoenix worms, what are those? Someone mentioned it on this forums, I've never seen it here, it was a struggle to find a mealworm breeder, I now am breeding my own mealworms.
    Yes I'm from South Africa :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

I wouldn't recommend it. Too much of a choking risk I personally think.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Phoenix worms are soldier fly larvae. They are called phoenix worms and calci worms here as well. Those are basically just brand names to make them sound fancy. They are a great feeder though and my beardie loves them.

If you can save up for a startup colony of dubias, you will probably be very pleased with them. They are pretty much impossible *not* to breed. They are absolutely prolific. Your gecko will be much too small to eat the adults (even when she is fully grown), but the nymphs will be perfect for her. If you find you have an overstock of the adults, you can always sell them yourself and make a little of the money you spent back! Or you could use that as an excuse to get another larger lizard, hehehe...(I'm joking of course...mostly...)