HB1309?

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by Garnet, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Garnet

Garnet New Member

Hopefully someone can clear this up for me. Does this mean that HB1309 is DEFINITELY going into effect or not? I'm subscribed to a group that I get automatic emails from sometimes and the subject this morning is "HB1309 has passed". What? Since when? Does anyone REALLY know? I would ask them but my work computer has Yahoo groups blocked and I'd really like to know what's going on. I am horrible at understanding all of this crap. :roll:

I am going to be SO UPSET if some government ******* tries to tell me I can't have my beautiful snakes. I can't believe they would even think about taking away peoples' family members like this... well, I guess I can believe it; they are the government after all, and we all know they never tackle issues that actually need to be dealt with. :x

Anyway, here's what was sent out:

80R2369 KCR-D

By: Hilderbran H.B. No. 1309

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
    AN ACT
    relating to the possession or transportation of certain snakes that are not indigenous to this country; providing a penalty.
    BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
    SECTION 1. Chapter 43, Parks and Wildlife Code, is amended by adding Subchapter V to read as follows:
    SUBCHAPTER V. NONINDIGENOUS SNAKE PERMIT
    Sec. 43.851. PERMIT. (a) The commission by rule shall establish a permit that allows a permit holder to possess or transport in this state a live venomous snake or live constrictor that is not indigenous to this country.
    :)( A permit under this subchapter is not required for:
    (1) a state or county official performing an official duty;
    (2) a licensed circus, carnival, menagerie, or zoo that possesses or transports a snake for exhibition or scientific purposes; or
    (3) a research facility licensed under the Animal Welfare Act (7 U.S.C. Section 2131 et seq.) that possesses or transports a snake for scientific purposes.
    © Except as provided by Subsection :)D, a person may not possess or transport in this state a snake described by Subsection (a) without a permit issued by the department under this subchapter.
    Sec. 43.852. FEE FOR PERMIT. The commission shall set a fee for a permit issued under this subchapter.
    Sec. 43.853. OFFENSE. A person who violates this subchapter commits an offense that is a Class B Parks and Wildlife Code misdemeanor.
    SECTION 2. (a) The Parks and Wildlife Commission shall adopt the rules necessary under Subchapter V, Chapter 43, Parks and Wildlife Code, as added by this Act, not later than January 1, 2008.
    :)) The Parks and Wildlife Department shall begin issuing permits under Subchapter V, Chapter 43, Parks and Wildlife Code, as added by this Act, not later than January 1, 2008.
    SECTION 3. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (B) of this section, this Act takes effect September 1, 2007.
    (B) Sections 43.851© and 43.853, Parks and Wildlife Code, as added by this Act, take effect January 1, 2008.