Heat Questions

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by field_hockey_gal, Jul 22, 2005.

1. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

Ok, I have my corns aquarium all set up. The temperature on the warm side is around 81.9 F during the day. In the hides its around the high 80 maybe into the 90-91 F. On the cool side it's usually around 75F At night it's around 75-80F I think (morning anways)

I know the temp on the warm side should be around the mid 80s, She always sleeps in the hide in the middle, so I can't find the temerature there. Should I be trying to increase the temperature a little? If I do get an over head light, the UTH is on a dimmer switch, so I can control the temps a bit.

Thanks for any help

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

What are you using to measure the temps?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. field_hockey_gal

A digital thermometer

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

Hmm, I don't know. Your temps seem fine. Is your UTH on the bottom or side?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. field_hockey_gal

Bottom. I think shes doing fine. She's three and a half weeks old, and ate two pinkies (one small one) on saturday right away - she's a little pigglet! She has not regurgatated yet, so I think she and the temperatures are fine

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Janice

They need the high heat to digest, right? Now, that you've fed her, is she using the hotter side?

12. field_hockey_gal

She's in the middle rock hide which is a bit on the UTH. She is on the hot side of the rock, which temperatures are 88 at the entrance. She is kinda curled up in there, so I can't get the thermometer into the back where she is.

Do they like to sleep in dark areas? I have a half log over the UTH, and she has never slept there. Its not really dark in the log....

13. Janice

My corn snake is either under the aspen in the cool end, or in his hot hide, which is a clay pot, that has the side broken out. He keeps growing out of his hides. We'll soon have to change the clay pot, because he is starting to outgrow it, too.

14. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Janice how old is your corn? How big is he now?

15. Janice

I really don't know how old he is. He's easily 3 1/2 feet long.

16. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

noob question i read that juvy corns dont need as much heat regulation as older corns?? is this true cos my UTH is almost all the way under the tank and the heat will not rise about 71????
    and my corn remain curled up most of the day under its hide. untill evenin? normal?

17. susyq

susyq Member

all mine even though the temps are fine tend to spend most of there time on the cool side lol, it sometimes makes me wonder if they just like to waste my electricity. my temps are warm end 80F and cool end 70-75F

18. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

My temps are hot end - 84F Cool end - 74F. But my corn is always on the hot end under his hide unless he's drinking water which is on the cool side.

19. ninx00x

ninx00x New Member

My juvy corn spends the day in his hide on the warm side, which is set to 86*. During the night the temperature is set for 76, but he likes to spend his time curled up in the branches of his fake plants so he can check out the scenery.

20. field_hockey_gal

Wow, they seem to come out alot.
    As they get older do they come out more during the day, or they get used to you in the room, or something?? Or are you all viewing at night time
    The only time I have seen Peaches out is when I sneak up in on her when it has been dark out. Other than that she spends all of her time in her hide. I know she has been out because the aspen shavings have been pushed and piled up.

21. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Haha! Yeah same here field_hockey_gal! I rarely actually catch him out of his hide. Even when I know the general time he comes out. Which is like around the evening (5-7pm). The only other way I can tell is from the tunnels and grooves he leaves in the aspen from burrowing and crawling through it. Sometimes when I pass by his tank he has his head sticking out of his hide so I know he's about to come out. But I think as they get used to you and their surroundings they'll venture out a little more. Mine has started to come out on his own when I put my hand in his tank :)

22. susyq

susyq Member

all my corns except for my amber, bronze and jungle which are out and about most of the time, will also stay in their hides until evening when they usually get really active.

23. field_hockey_gal

Well, I guess I have only had her for two weeks or so, can't expect her to be used to us already. She is getting really good at handeling, no hissing or ratteling the tail anymore. She just sat in my brothers hands last night for a minute or so, and was very calm. then went exploring.

24. Aceo4

Aceo4 Embryo

Well I have been meaning to figure out this heat thing and this looks like a good topic to figure it out in.
    Ok, What should be a good average temp on the hot and cool ends of the tanks during the day and night? I look all over the net but always come up with different answers. Also is it best to use uth or heat lamps? And how do I maintain a good humidity for them? Any help I will greatly appreciate.

Also I have a 20-gallon fish tank I keep my corn in, And a 20-gallon Breeder tank I keep my King in. And both the king and corn are about 12" in length. Are these good tanks for them?

25. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Ok UTHs are better then heat lamps since corn snakes need the heat from below to digest food. Use a thermostat to control it with though. Average temp on the hot side can be low to mid 80's and the cool side can be about mid 70's. If you mist the tank daily with warmish water, that should maintain the humidity. The tanks are an ok size for your snakes. As an adult, corns can be kept in a 20gal MINIMUM. I currently have mine in a 20gal but as soon as I can make a lid for the 40gal I have now, he's going in it. I am going to make the lid half mesh, half plexi-glass to help keep humidity in.