Heat Questions

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by field_hockey_gal, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Aceo4

Aceo4 Embryo

Thanks for the info, I appericate it.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

What should the humidity be at?
    And I use apen shavings, if the aspen gets wet or even damp, isn't that not good? (respitory problems)
    There is a dish of water in the enclosure at all times, is that enough?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Humidity should be at about 60% (so I'm told). I use aspen shavings as well. If you just spray the tank sides, and not the shavings or anything else in the tank, that should be ok. It works really well. And having a big water dish full of warm water helps as well. For me, I find that keeping the humidity up in my corns tank is difficult so I have to do all that I can. Even putting a box with damp moss inside that your snake can crawl into as he wishes helps. Especially during shedding time.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

Our water dish is slightly on the heat pad so it evaporates faster than it would normally. She had a drink out of it last night after we handled her, this a sign of low humidity or just she was thirsty?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Snakes will drink water. That's why fresh is needed daily.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

You should put the water dish on the cool side if possible. If water ever spills on the heat pad, this will produce heat cracks.

12. field_hockey_gal

The water dish is right on the bottom of the tank so she can't get under it. I have a huge rock hide on the cool side (everywhere else it was getting 110 degrees inside it). So mist the sides and hides, and a moist hide......I'll try to fit another hide in.

Do corns have a problem with getting respitory problems?

13. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

They can get respitory problems, yeah. Just be careful. You don't need to over mist the tank. Just a couple sprays at most. Sometimes the snake will lick the droplets from the tank sides. Lol mine did the other night. It was so cute.

14. field_hockey_gal

Ok, Thank You very much!
    I placed a damp paper towel on top of one of the rock hides - just for now, and shes going to shed so I am hoping that goes all right.

I have seen my geckos drink water droplets. It's cute when they lick it from their nose. I have only seen the snake drink water from the bowl. I went to place her down and she went to the water dish and drank while hanging from my hand. It was funny, I could actually see her gulping it down.

15. matt_k

matt_k New Member

When I mist my cage, sometimes water droplets gather on the scales of my snakes; a few times my snakes have drank the water droplets right off of each other.

16. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Off each other? You house them together?

17. matt_k

matt_k New Member

Yes, I house two of my snakes in one cage (a large 175 gallon one) and another one is his own cage. I know you're gonna jump all over that and say "you can't house two snakes in the same enclosure, it's bad for the snakes", but I talked directly to Kathy Love about it and several other breeders who all said it was safe to do so. The two that are housed together were introduced to each other slowly, safely, and over a period of time and I knew what I was doing. I observe them constantly to watch for any signs of stress or any signs that they may not be enjoying each other's company. I know what I'm doing with them and I wouldn't have housed them together if I wasn't 100% confident in what I was doing. So, although you may disagree with it, I did my homework first and made an educated decision.

18. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Cool are they both females? Corns? What morphs?

19. matt_k

matt_k New Member

No, one is a male and one is a female. The female is a charcol and the male is a sunglow. And yeah, all three of my snakes are corns.

20. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Oooh a sunglow. Pretty...

21. matt_k

matt_k New Member

My third one is a 11 month old Okeetee. The Sunglow (male) is about 4 years old and the Charcol (female) is about 2 and a half. I used to have a female Ghost, but I traded her for the Sunglow. On the 27th of August I'm getting a female Snow hatchling and I'm thinking about getting 2 more females, but I'm not sure what morph yet.

22. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Wow that's pretty cool. I have a 7yr old Okeetee. Aren't they beautiful? My next one I want to be a motley sunglow or a miami.

23. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

back to original thread {heat question} my corn doesnt have aheat mat anymore at all. the home is on top of my big a$$ iggy viv where it is warm all day, and has no problems as far as i can tell. temp is steady in the middle at around 75f. no hot/cool sides at all.

24. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Thats not good I don't think....why doesn't he have a heat mat? They should have a hot and cool side so they can choose. Hot side should be about 85F and the cool side should be 75F. Thereabouts.

25. matt_k

matt_k New Member

I agree. Your snake should have an option of a cooler side or warmer side in order to properly thermoregulate. While he may appear fine to you, you can't know what's going on internally. You can't physically observe stress in your snake. He may look quite content to you, but he may be very unhappy. I'd take him off the other cage and give him a heat mat. With no opportunity to choose to go to a warmer side, he may have difficulties digesting his food properly.