Hello everyone! I got a few questions

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Tim3skimo, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

-So My Leo Kim is now 3 months old....in December I have to go away for 10 days and she will be 7 months by then. She is very healthy, active, friendly and has a fat tail. Will she be okay if I leave worms in her bowl and feed her a lot before I go away? Water is not a problem, I have a plan for that.

She will have heat, I have safety measures for the UTH, I won't keep the heat light on because December is Summer here...and Africa get's pretty hot ;)

-Which side should I keep the humid hide? I have it on the hot side...makes sense to me.

-How do I bowl train her? :p So that she can eat mealworms/dubia roach nymphs from her little bowl (it has calcium powder in it too) I would like if she would/can eat from her bowl.

Thanks awesome people :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Ten days is pretty long to leave a reptile without being checked up on. Do you have a friend who can at least come check on her a few times during that time span? The food and water thing aren't really the issue, but say she had an accident--injured herself somehow, had a stuck shed on her eyes or cutting off circulation to her toes, something like that--I generally only recommend leaving reptiles unattended for 3-4, *maybe* 5 days for that very reason. If you know anyone at all who can help you out, that would be much more ideal.

Usually the humid hide is kept in the middle of the tank.

For bowl feeding, you kind of have to figure out what works for each animal. With my beardie, I started with a transparent bowl so he could see the worms moving around in it through the sides, then switched to a ceramic one once he learned to check there for food. If you already have a bowl you plan on using, I would just start by placing her directly in front of the bowl so she can see down into it, then drop her worms in one at a time like you would if you were feeding her outside of the bowl. Eventually she should learn to associate the bowl with her food, and you can leave some available at all times.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

Hi...no there really is no one that can check up on her =(

She is now eating from her bowl and has been doing so since I created this thread!
    And she doesn't seem very interested in the humid hide when it's in the middle...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Darn, that stinks that no one can check on her...

Keeping the humid hide on the warm side is not a problem, it will just dry out faster. As long as you are misting it regularly, that shouldn't be an issue.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

I'm gonna make everything right for when I go away, I'll make sure she has enough water for the 10 days, leave mealworms in her food bowl and feed her more than usual before I go away? I trust the heat pad, I am sure it won't malfunction.

Yes I mist the humid hide frequently :)

I'm quite mad/upset, a family member's friend sprayed Kim with a water bottle I use for the humid hide because they heard you're supposed to do that. Now she acts defensive towards me. She was so curious and friendly to me for long, I hope this passes :(

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cammy

I'm sure she'll get over it pretty quickly. Many lizards do appreciate being misted; leopard geckos are not one of them. I am frequently screamed at by the juvenile leopard geckos at work when they get sprayed while I'm misting their humid hide.