Hello! I'm new here

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by hxcolin, Nov 23, 2009.

1. hxcolin

hxcolin Embryo

Hi there, I found this forum through a google search and though it doesn't seem entirely too active, it looks like the most knowledgeable group for WD's on the web! :)

I bought a WD from Petsmart about a month back (I know, Petsmart is horrible). Thankfully, I got it young before petsmart started the complete neglect for their lizards, lol. I felt really bad though, leaving the other WD they had behind, I may get it soon, if I get the money to and think I am up for nursing it back to health..

But currently I'm keeping it in a smaller 1.5x1.5x2 (lwh) terrarium, and I may get a 100 gallon from a coworker for about 400 dollars in half a year to a year (not sure about the dimensions yet but, she said it's huge, and that's a great deal!).

Here are some images of my setup and dragon, named Kovu.. thought I think it's a female, maybe you guys can help me out on that? :) :

[​IMG]
    That water dish was replaced with a larger one, which is about 3-4 times as big, and looks like a stone so it works for now!

[​IMG]
    Just loungin around. Finally can see some color, it was all dark green when I got it from Petsmart! Don't know whether or not that's because it's younger or, because they weren't really giving it the right conditions...

[​IMG]
    almost time for bed.. haha. I can't remember where Kovu was in this picture.

Today I just put a spiny toothed and garden lettuce plant in the terrarium where most of the feeder insects die, I will continue to clean them out but I want to see if Kovu will eat off of these and how much it improves the air quality, even though it isn't bad at all.

I keep the humidity at 70-80 percent, got it raised up to 90 percent once, but that took me about 30 minutes of continuous misting. I did purchase an Exo-Terra brand fogger, and I wasn't too happy with it. I'm looking at the Zoo Med Reptifogger now, though. If any of you have had any experience with it, please let me know if it's worth the cash! 8D

I have an mp3 player put on the outside of the glass on the left side now, too, and speakers at the top and I've been playing Echoes of Nature: Rainforest on repeat for my WD for the past 2 days to simulate a natural habitat, he/she seems to like it very much!

Anyways, lemme know what you guys think, and any tips or pointers on how to give it a better life will be great! Thanks so much in advance...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

The zoo med repti fogger is by far the best fogger made. Well worth the money.

You need a larger waterbowl that the lizard can get into completely. Also, A branch or two that will allow the lizard to get closer to the basking area would be great.

They do tend to go to the bathroom alot in the water bowl so make sure you keep the water VERY clean.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. hxcolin

hxcolin Embryo

I stated in my post, I bought a waterbowl about 4 times the size of that! It's almost double my baby dragon's size at the moment, so it will do for a few more months :) I change it twice daily.

and he can get to the basking area okay via the plants on the side, but I've been looking for a good stick or two to put in there, most of 'em around where i live look too dangerous. What kind do dragons prefer most? thanks!