Help deciding which snake is best for me?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by childofbean, Dec 23, 2007.

1. childofbean

childofbean New Member

So I'm wanting to get my first snake. I have lots of experience with lizards, but none with snakes! I'm stuck between a children's python, a rosy boa, or a Kenyan sand boa. What would the main differences be between these snakes? What are some of the pros and cons? Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ishka

ishka Embryo

Okay... I'll try and help you out a little bit...

Of the snakes you have listed the only ones that we are able to keep here in australia are the children's python so i'm not going to comment on the other 2.

CHILDRENS PYTHONS
    PROS:
    - Easy to keep
    - Only grow to a smal size so are easy to manage even when full grown
    - Only require a relatively small enclosure compared to the bigger pythons

CONS:
    - Not as pretty as a lot of other pythons (in my opinion)

Children's aren't really my cup of tea as i prefer the bigger pythons but if you are looking for something that isn't going to grow to big a children's is definately a good starter snake :)

Cheers,
    Ishka

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Depends what you're looking for? Size? Temperament? etc?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. reako45

reako45 Member

All are good snakes w/ not alot of major differences. Rosies can potentially get the biggest of the bunch (44"), and probably would have similar caging requirements to a Childrens (it seems to me both of theses snakes enjoy a good climb every once in awhile). I've kept Childrens, I currently have a WW Rosy and my friend has a breeding trio odf Kenyan Sand Boas. All 3 need relatively warm basking site. I don't really know what else to tell you except read & research specifics and see which ones suit you best.

reako45