Help! Huge Display Cage

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Tokaylove, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

We are looking for ideas of what to put into our huge new display cage... first a little back ground... we went to walmart and were looking around in sporting goods when we came accross a rifle display case that they had for sale... $250... Well we couldn't pass it up so we purchased it... 6' tall, 4' deep 5' wide tempered glass and melamine cage. The issue now is what to put in it... We have BCI's, Kenyan Sand Boas, Crested Geckos, Veiled Chamaleon, and a Tokay Gecko. None of which will really work in the display. So we are looking for ideas... Of course because it is glass, we wouldn't put a chameleon in it. And we feel that an Iguana would be in appropriate for us. So, bring on the recommendations. Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Water dragon! That would be a really nice tank for a water dragon. Or maybe a mountain horned dragon, however it is a bit large for something that only gets 14-15" long! lol
    Seriously though, go for a water dragon, great temperment, look stunning, fun to keep and that sized viv will make it one HAPPY water dragon! lol
    Got pics?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Liquid_Squelch

Liquid_Squelch New Member

That would be one lucky Tokay!! My two Tokay's share a 20gallon tank

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

Sorry, no pics yet... Comming soon. Thanks for the replies... The wife was leaning toward a water dragon, I was leaning toward an arboreal snake of some kind... But keep the ideas rolling!!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. madskillz1210_yahoo_com

madskillz1210_yahoo_com New Member

brasilan rainbow boa ... some kind of big snake maybe a big lizard like a monitor or a tegu ...iguana would work too but i think a snake should go in =)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Eddie_Gordo

Eddie_Gordo New Member

Dang O.O, "(6 x 4 x 5) * (cubic feet) = 897.662334 US gallons". Only 250$? i might have to get that, its a rifle cabinet you say? I don't think i could fit that in my car ;)

Minimum for 1 is 130 gallons at 1.5'x3'x4'

12. dreyer1

dreyer1 New Member

get a columbian red tail boa.

13. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

Okay, It took me forever to get a pic of this thing. Everyone say hi to Joe... He's 5'10 just to give you a size reference. We will be putting a "muck bucket" in the circular hole in the bottom, perhaps with a water feature. Yeah! We had considered putting one of the Red Tails in the display, but not one of the three of them shows any interest in being arboreal... What a waste that would be. Of the list of great display animals, we need one that we can handle as I just can't seem to keep my mits out of the tanks ( much to the dismay of our Veiled Cham!) and it also helps when friends/family comes over, to be able to bring the animal out and show them they don't have to be scared. Come on folks help me brain storm some more! I'm thinking Carpet Pythons... My wife was wondering if maybe there was something we could do to the glass so we could house another Chameleon... Or a colony of pygmy chams! This thing will hold lots of stuff. What would ya'll do with it? Thanks for the help so far keep it up.

[​IMG]

14. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

Thats awesome. I want one. Were they just trying to get rid of it or do they sell them as a product? In other words will they have them at other wallmarts maybe? A carpet python would be a good idea.

15. Fable

Fable New Member

Chinese Water Dragon they are awesome..

16. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

Okay, looks like we may have to research the water dragon thing... Keep the ideas rolling. Walmart decided to remodel and the manager was just trying to get rid of it... He didn't think anyone was going to want it... I was just in the right place at the right time.

17. Eddie_Gordo

Eddie_Gordo New Member

Oh wow thats sweet...whats the lighting like...just standar bulbs...is there any way you can get something through the top into the cage? such as a humidifier or something as such...

18. Roxsy

Roxsy Embryo

wow thats fab! you could always put a background paper on 2/3 sides of the tank so that cham'sdon't feel to exposed. I want that tank!

19. jimbobroy

jimbobroy New Member

Man that is SWEET!!!! Get a emerald tree boa. or maybe get 3 of them ;-) They love to climb and would love a big pond in the bottom.

20. BeardToCrest

BeardToCrest New Member

A trio of Frilled Dragons would be pretty cool.

21. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

Frilled dragons! That would be cool... I'll have to look into that as well. We have considered painting the back sides of the cage, but wanted to be sure of what we were going to house first. There are plenty of ways to run a humidifier/mister/fogger... Even heat panels/IR... The lighting in the tank right now is 4 spiral fluorescent bulbs... But the sky is the limit. I'm shy of ETB/GTP because I've seen alot of folks tagged by them. I'd rather not have to tell visitors not to get too close because the pretty snake in the cage is going to bite... Not good for PR : ) Anyway, we have added frilled lizards to the list of canidates... What else? Also, has anyone used one of the spiral U.V. bulbs? Normally I would use a strip, but the less that I have to add to the tank, the better it will end up looking.

22. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Chinese water dragon completely. Im not so sure it looks like it has plenty of hight but not enough dwelling area for a snake or monitor. A Chinese water dragon would live happily in that especially if you have a little pond for him at the bottom he can kinda soak in. Just put some really tall branches of bamboo inside and put some mercury vapor bulbs and there you have a perfect home for a water dragon. They would love it in there.

23. jimbobroy

jimbobroy New Member

Well if not a etb then go with a yellow rat or something like that. (i would put about 5 eyelash vipers in it) ;-)

24. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

Ok... I'm WAY jealous here... wow. Get a giant gecko!! Rhacodactylus leachianus. Or... some leaf-tailed geckos. Man.. the sky is the limit here. Yeah... gtp's are nice, but definitely not a handleable snake. I think I'm going to lean toward the water dragon with most people here. Awesome setup!

25. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to have to start hanging around Wal*Marts lol - I'm totally jealous! My Water Dragon would have a *field day* in there. (if you couldn't tell, I'm partial to CWD's lol!!) I'd also vote for a water dragon in that awesome enclosure! WOW!