Help! Huge Display Cage

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Tokaylove, Jul 23, 2006.

1. illrevue

illrevue New Member

I think an adult carpet python would love that, but the thing is you cant get a young snake for it, its just a bit too big to house a few month old anything. I'm not a big lizard fan, but I think the Veiled's would do great in there if you take the top off maybe and screen it in?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. corey

corey Well-Known Member

water dragon! its perfect for a water dragon!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

In my opinion a snake wouldnt have enough room. But I don't know much about snakes. It looks like theres not enough surface area for it to lay on but plenty of room if you wanted one that climbs.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

There is a reptile show in Denver on the 12th... We have arranged to look at a couple carpets and some chams. There is a 4" hole in the top, where we could install a fan for circulation. Trust me, it is plenty big for an arboreal snake (I can stand inside it). We are also looking at water dragons and frilled dragons... We saw fijian iguana's in a magazine, and even heard a rumor of arboreal tortoises. Any more ideas?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. earlgreylee

earlgreylee New Member

you got lucky with that case, some herp is gonna be very happy.
    as for what to put in, i say a frilled dragon, but i tend to be a little bias toward them.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. hornedfrog

hornedfrog Member

Fiji island iguanas are awesome but as far as I know they can't be sold in the U.S. Hopefully that will change soon. I'd go with frilled dragons.

12. John_WaterDragon

John_WaterDragon New Member

That is one awesome Water Dragon enclosure you got there...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Buy seriousely thats WD heaven. :D

13. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

If you were going to do lizards in that setup, depending on how much you want to spend on the animals I would go with a pair of tree monitors. The color is up to you. I would start out with 1 male green tree monitor. That would be a perfect cage for them.

Actually now that I think about it, I almost bought a cage exactly like that for a large Sailfin Dragon I was about to buy. These lizards are fascinating, but harder to get than green tree monitors.
    [​IMG]

If you want to do snakes, well then I would recommend Green tree pythons, emerald tree boas, or maybe if you want something different....A dwarf retic would be nice. They only get about half the size of Normal retics.

Heck, if it was me I would definately do the Monitors. If I couldn't afford the monitors at that point in time, it would be the largest cuban treefrog setup anybody would ever see.

Get your green tree monitors from these guys. The best around.
    http://www.proexotics.com/ca_monitors.html

As for the cage. I wouldn't have anything near the lights that would allow the animals to touch them. That is unless they are the ones that don't get hot. I think you should be fine with the spiral bulbs, I use them for my Tree frogs and they do fine. I would definately invest in a misting system, a fogger wouldn't be neccasery but would add the the naturalistic effect.

14. BeardToCrest

BeardToCrest New Member

15. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

thanks for all the great ideas we will post pics with whatever we decide to put in there. Hopefully the reptile show on saturday will fill the cage!!!!

16. wy34football

wy34football New Member

thats a beautiful cage i would put beardies in it.

17. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

Why would you put beardies in it? It's a 5 foot tall cage, that would be pointless and a waste.

18. Eddie_Gordo

Eddie_Gordo New Member

LOL...im sorry that just funny...

Seems like theres a lot of reptile shows this saturday...im going to the all ohio reptile show...hoping to find a female russian tortoise...

19. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

I've got a breeding pair of German's and Russian's!!! I likes me turtles. I also have a 25lb. Sulcata. WOOT!

20. honor_your_life

honor_your_life New Member

put in emerald tree boas, green tree pythons, panther chameleon or your veiled (use fans), umm iguana, lots of giant day geckos or any other aboreal good temperment towards other geckos, ummm ahaha

21. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

we decided on a frilled lizard, picked him or her up at the show, he/she is eating like a pig already.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

lol. Cool lizard! You will get many years of entertainment out of him. Once you determine the sex you should look into breeding.

23. Byrn

Byrn New Member

I agree with water dragon to, or a bunch of crested geckos. What I would do with it though, is fill it with tree frogs, can you mix different species? Like whites and red eyes, or maybe dart frogs?

24. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

well we are going to get him/her a mate as soon as we figure out a sex, very sweet and funny loves to tweezer feed, and hates the cockatoo frills up mouth open. Byrn we already have 4 cresties and they have cages so we wont be putting them in there plus 4 is a good number and only the two females could live together but thanks i did think about that.

25. Eddie_Gordo

Eddie_Gordo New Member

Might i recommend going to a home depot or other store with a plant nursery and look for a ficus tree house plant...i use them for my MHD enclosure and they only require water and bright light...would be perfect for that cage...also if it ends up too tall to fit you can take some twine and tie the upper parts of the tree down to halfway up the trunk...it'll start to lose leaves but they grow back in where the branches are exposed in 2 weeks...a good sized pot would fit perfectly in the hole in the center...and after a while the tree will just stay that way without twine because they use ficus for bonsai...just a suggestion...frilleds are a great choice....