Help! Huge Display Cage

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Tokaylove, Jul 23, 2006.

1. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

I agree you need a tree in the middle of that monster cage! I guess you'll be waiting a while to determine it's sex since it's young still. I have kept one of these lizards for a week and had much fun. The have great personalities, and great pet potential.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

we are currently looking for a large plant, so thanks for the advice it does look bare right now but i will post pics when its all full and decorated!!!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Wow! that looks great but can I ask what wattage of bulb that is and if it actually creates a basking spot of around 100F (I think thats what frillies need).

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

shoot my husband put a new one in the other day and I think its a 175w but im not sure we had to switch cuz the tank was only getting up to 78, its hard to heat a tank that big but now you open the door and bam hit with a wave of heat. Still decorating its the biggest tank we have ever had. I understand your concern.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

What about an MegaRay? it pumps out alot of heat + the UVB they require, it has a 6' reach, so the tallness of the tank is OK. I got mine at www.reptileuv.com

~Michelle

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ryan1990

O yer, dont you have a UV light for the frillie?

12. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

we installed one the other day so yes he has a uva, uvb light.

13. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

Have you decided on a tree yet? Go to lowes, they have alot of tropical plants on sale because it's nearing fall.

14. spike8

spike8 New Member

WOW that looks amazing i have to go to wal mart more often and ask if they are throwing anything out thats amazing! frilled dragons are so cool.

15. TRay12

TRay12 Embryo

I would say an emerald tree boa! That would be SWEET

16. Roxsy

Roxsy Embryo

if you had a tall plant in there so the frilly could sit like 8" under the basking bulb the temp would be ok, ikts difficult to get a decent basking spot and maintaning overall temp in tank that big

I'd use a vertical thermogradient rather than a horizontal one considering the lizard is aboreal and the size of that tank!

LOOKS GOOD SO FAR

17. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

yeah still looking for a tall plant kinda shopping around heating this thing is a huge pain in the a$$ but we have fiddled and bought lights and ceramic heat emmiters and its working, coming along nicely. being lazy on posting new pics

18. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

Please stop being lazy.

19. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

sorry im uhhhh a procrastinater.

20. c3powil

c3powil New Member

hahahahahahahhahahahahaahaahahahahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAN!!!!!! yall is makin me delierious that yall got that big of a tank for that little amount,considering that the enclousers I have seen are over 1000 moneys! hah coool!Well,you could always put some juvinile iguanas in there,that is if your up to it.

21. Fable

Fable New Member

c3powil they have already decided on a frillie.

22. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

we didnt think an iguana was right for us. Though the little frillie looks tiny in the cage he will grow into it sooner or later and the rate he is eating its going to be sooner.

23. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

It would have been funnier if you hadn't said anything.

For plants, I have read that Frillies prefer a horizontal branch over a vertical one.

[​IMG]

You could find something to put across the cage in this manner. I would probably do that and have another log to climb up onto that one from. Then I would just plant the entire floor with some ferns.

This Caresheet if you havn't found one already :D has a few basic pointers.
    http://www.the-lizard-lounge.com/content/s...lled-dragon.asp

24. Ryan1990

Could you post a pic of the tank now... just to see how you have fitted the UV light (just out of curiousity) lol... if it were me I would consider an MVB light next time you need to get a new UV light :)

25. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

You still havn't decided on a plant?